Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts
I think Ohio is far too paranoid that anybody who carries a weapon not legal for a certain game animal will break the law just because they have it with them. In most scenarios, it doesn't even make sense. A turkey hunter will throw down his shotgun, and "cheat" by shooting a turkey with his 9mm pistol? A deer hunter will toss his 45-70 lever gun to "cheat" with his 44 revolver? The only scenario that even makes sense is the archer using pistol, but the open carry archer will cheat, while the CCW archer will not? The whole one implement, only carry this, can't carry that, concealed, open is a bunch of complicated bureaucratic nonsense that serves no purpose, and even the game wardens can't explain, and have trouble enforcing. You can hunt deer with a bow during archery. If you want to take that shot at the coyote just out of bow range range from yortree stand with your .357, then God bless you. You can hunt turkey with a shotgun. You call in a coyote just outside of bow range, or that wild hog wanders by at 75 yards, why not pull the .44 magnum? I think things would be better for everyone if they worried about catching those who actually attempt to use an unlawful for game weapon as opposed to trying to catch those who look like they might. I go out with a target species in mind, but also like to take lawful targets of opportunity while I'm out there.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.