Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

Carrying openly while deer hunting or Turkey?

3K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  TimSr 
#1 ·
Has there been any movement in trying to get where you can open in the woods without a permission slip at all, does anyone know?

WV passed their law last year, and now you can carry a firearm in any season for protection without a permission slip....

I find this incredible to begin with how we even lost this right, but with hunters that have been attacked in the woods by critters and other PEOPLE, you would think this would not be a big deal, but evidently we go back to, the animals have more rights than we do..

#3 ·
if you don't have a ccw I would be real cautious of that as they can charge you with hunting with multiple arms if deer hunting. this came strait from the gw. I took my coat off one year bow hunting and he was sitting at my truck talking with my hunting partner and said make sure its covered because it wont fall under the ccw law cause its not covered. I don't see why it matters covered, uncovered, license or no license. your allowed to use a long gun without a license so why not be allowed to open carry a handgun incase you run into yotes, or some yahoo in the woods.

#6 ·
I know fellas thisis nuts and we shouldn't have worry about losing our rights trying to protect our selves while huntin with a bow or other...

Don't know the yearly numbers, but know about a few that has happened including myself, who was attacked by a wild dog while sitting in my blind bow hunt a few years ago in and was fortunate enough he just bit my boot and I was able to kick him away....Scary damn moment..

A few years ago a couple of bow hunters below Cambridge OH was held at gun point and killed by someone who many think ran into a pot field on some public lands.....We should not have to justify carrying with a permission slip to protect our lives while huntin...

It makes no sense....

Reactions: RGJZ06
#8 ·
This isn't the same story, but this another example....Can't find the other yet...

Ohio serial killer Thomas Lee Dillon has gone to his death.

Dillon, who stalked the woods of eastern Ohio and shot five outdoorsmen to death between 1989 and 1992, died today, state prison officials said.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2011/10/21/Dillon-dies.html

#15 ·
ohio has open carry law. not real sure how a wildlife law can override a state law. when I was doing my Criminal justice degree my professor/attorney/chief of police/us marshal/a hole bunch of other positions specifically said a city law cant override a state law, state cant override federal, etc. when I asked about if say city wrote a law saying no open carry and state says yes he said it would be thrown out asap.

#20 ·
I see many could support changing this denial of a right to protect ourselves during ALL seasons with out paying for a permission slip to get a right back, now, how can we change it?.....

#24 ·
I think Ohio is far too paranoid that anybody who carries a weapon not legal for a certain game animal will break the law just because they have it with them. In most scenarios, it doesn't even make sense. A turkey hunter will throw down his shotgun, and "cheat" by shooting a turkey with his 9mm pistol? A deer hunter will toss his 45-70 lever gun to "cheat" with his 44 revolver? The only scenario that even makes sense is the archer using pistol, but the open carry archer will cheat, while the CCW archer will not? The whole one implement, only carry this, can't carry that, concealed, open is a bunch of complicated bureaucratic nonsense that serves no purpose, and even the game wardens can't explain, and have trouble enforcing. You can hunt deer with a bow during archery. If you want to take that shot at the coyote just out of bow range range from yortree stand with your .357, then God bless you. You can hunt turkey with a shotgun. You call in a coyote just outside of bow range, or that wild hog wanders by at 75 yards, why not pull the .44 magnum? I think things would be better for everyone if they worried about catching those who actually attempt to use an unlawful for game weapon as opposed to trying to catch those who look like they might. I go out with a target species in mind, but also like to take lawful targets of opportunity while I'm out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.