close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Caring for meat while hunting

Discussion in 'Ohio Small Game Hunting' started by mudkings, Aug 27, 2012.

1. with squirrel season right around the corner I was just wondering if anybody wanted to share how they take care of there meat while hunting in this heat. I usually skin and gut soon after kill and keep a cooler with ice in truck to put meat in intill i get home.
    Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

2. As far as squirrels dont know if theres much more ypi can do for Deer hang them inside a barn temps usually cooler i like to leave them hang and bleed Out over night if its real warm pack cavity with ice. I was always told as long as there not in direct sunlight the meat wont be affected

3. When the temps are up and I'm out scouting for de...I mean squirrel hunting, I first skin (easier when the carcass is still warm) and then gut-out squirrels right after killing them. I think it is very important to do so when shooting them with a shotgun, but even with a .22cal. head shot, it is still important, at least it is to me.

I leave their "britches" on at the rear ankles and hang them upside-down on a limb in the shade. They drain and dry a bit, and the carcass meat cools pretty quickly through evaporation. I'll let them hang until I'm ready to move, if the flies aren't bothering the carcass too much. Often enough, another squirrel will come out while I'm cooling the first one.

When I'm ready to change spots, I remove the "britches" and roll-up the carcass in a paper towel that then goes in my game bag. I scout for de...I mean hunt squirrels on or around our own property, so I'm most likely within a mile of the house where I process them for the freezer.

4. A good point is the shotgun hunting. I rarely use a .22 but they always taste like crap when i use a shotty, So if you are telling us that skinning and gutting them right away helps with the bad taste, verify that for me cause i'll try it this year! Love to hunt them (and scout - lol) but i really don't like eating them as much as everything else I hunt.
    Thanks

5. Skinning and cleaning them helps the flavor a lot. I take it one step further. I carry a bottle of water and rinse out the body cavity. The bottle doesn't weigh much and they taste great at dinner!

6. Thats a good tip carrying a bottle of water. Ill have to try that i usually have some in truck anyways.

7. With the warm weather, what do you do about the warbels?

8. Early season it helps the flavor to skin/gut right away for sure. Water rinse after and even better. And if you keep a freezer pack in your backpack that can help. Love early season scouting/hunting.

9. In 25 years of squirrel hunting I have only come across 3 or 4 animals that seemed to be infected and the had the parasite just under the skin. But as a precaution I didn't eat the meat.

10. I have popped a few that had them in the neck area. I just discarded them, too risky for me.

11. What exactly should we be looking for when it comes to checking for warbels?

12. Ill try to find a picture or two and post them along with some info.

Black Dog Bowfishing Pro Staff

13. My forefathers (well, actually just two; Grandpa Little and my Dad) emphasized to me how important it is to clean and cool game birds and mammals destined for human consumption as neatly and as quickly as possible. And that holds doubly true for those gut shot by mistake, or killed by shotshell. As soon as a critter’s digestive juices get on the meat, it does what it is designed to do…breaking down the meat for digestion.

Critters infested with warbles, though I've never shot one, get culled, if possible, but not consumed by me or mine.
    [​IMG]

14. Youll know when it has a warble. Its a pretty big larva from a blowfly

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

15. The warble wont effect the meat. Cows and all your livestock get them (besides maybe sheep, idk if the fly can make it through the wool). All you do is pop it out and go on with life. Ive never personally ran into warbles but my grandpa popped them out his cattle

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

16. Warbles

Just google it, once you see a pic, you won't forget what your seeing !!! Mike

17. i carry a cooler on my 4x4,with water,zipbags an snacks:shhh: i skin,gut,rinse them out an in the cooler as fast as i can.
    twister