Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I need convinced about switching over to carbon. I know the cost are getting close to the same for both products now and I would have to do some adjustments to the bow, which is no real problem. I like to shoot allot and I keep damaging aluminum arrows with creases and knicks. I do hunt as well with it but; not much in the last couple of years. I want to change over soon so I will be ready from the change by October. Please give me some pros and cons on this subject !

·
Registered
61 Posts
well i think it is just all personal prefrence. I shoot easton full metal jackets, they are a carbon arrow with a metal outer lining. My favorite arrow!! I would say to stay away from cheap carbon arrows for the reason of them breaking during the shot.

·
Administrator
5,399 Posts
I like the durability of carbon and their flat trajectory, but I miss their mass for pass through shots.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
i shoot carbon due to how strong they are . also alluminum bends easy
PantechP2020/JIUS05172010R; Mozilla/5.0 (Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1; Opera Mini/att/4.2.19039; U; en-US) Opera 9.50

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
Coonie. You can't shoot aluminum. You say you shoot original archery and aluminum is not original. But I'm sure you don't shoot stone points. I guess traditional bow doesn't make it original archery.
Both have there good points and bad. I treid carbon with a compound bow and x bow and went back to aluminum with both.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
aluminum arrows have been around longer than anybuddy on this site...:Di was using aluminum in the mid sixties...i think aluminum has a better system...carbon aint what its cracked up to be when it comes to strength...luckily i flexed the ones that snapped...my aluminum lasts longer...but as said i just like their numbering system mainly...i was shooting alum.just before my arm/shoulder got sore...:eek:

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I shoot um because I like the way they hold up. You can take um from the target range right to your quiver. ;)

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Carbon is the way to go. I shot 4 deer with the same arrow. Doesn't happen with aluminum. Pass throughs on every shot. If you aren't getting pass throughs I would check my setup

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Carbon is the way to go. I shot 4 deer with the same arrow. Doesn't happen with aluminum. Pass throughs on every shot. If you aren't getting pass throughs I would check my setup
gotta agree there on both points...my problem is in the overall picture...i do a lot of stump shooting (when i can)...and carbon...well lets just say you better flex them...now i've only used gold tip traditional...and i've had em break on the flex test...i have had almost zero problems with alum.in many more years of stumping...one reason i switched from wood as i broke a lot of wood shafts...i want arrows to last 20 yrs...and my aluminums seem to do best...the carbons i got just dont hold up...maybe its the gold tips since thats all i've ever used...i wont be buying any more at this rate...if you use carbon you better flex after each shot...i just dont like that playing in my mind with each shot...:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I agree if you hit something hard or deflections can cause the carbons to splinter or crack at the nock or tip points. But they don't bend. Always fly true when splined correctly. Technology has taken over in arrows. Cross weaves are making them super arrows, lighter, and faster

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
I agree if you hit something hard or deflections can cause the carbons to splinter or crack at the nock or tip points. But they don't bend. Always fly true when splined correctly. Technology has taken over in arrows. Cross weaves are making them super arrows, lighter, and faster
my fiberglass browning microflights i used in the 60s was crossweaves...they also were super strong and didnt bend and were very heavy for super penetration...:D

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
coonie. crossbows have been around alot longer than aluminum arrows. So does that put them in the original archery group ?
If you nick a carbon arrow with a broadhead you better trash it.

·
Registered
14,763 Posts
I went to shooting mostly carbons a couple years ago. Didn't have to make any changes to my bow.
I liked the speed that I gained with the carbon arrows.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
coonie. crossbows have been around alot longer than aluminum arrows. So does that put them in the original archery group ?
If you nick a carbon arrow with a broadhead you better trash it.
crossbows have always been considered archer...:D

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
I switched to carbons a couple years ago and like them. Either they are straight or theyre broke. I have shot them a lot and never had one break coming off the bow. Just make sure they are correctly spined for your setup and inspect them for cracks and splintering regularly. I have never had a problem with pass throughs even shooting large cut mechanicals (rage 2 blades).
sam-r261 UP.Browser/6.2.3.8 (GUI) MMP/2.0

·
5,049 Posts
For what it's worth Easton began experimenting with aluminum in 1939 and patented them in 1946. I kind of cheat... I use carbons, 75/95 Gold tip pro's camo, with a 125 head they weigh in at 480 grains, almost as heavy as aluminum, but shoot a whole lot nicer! I've had almost zero problems with splintering or broken shafts, but I shoot at soft targets not stumps:whistle:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts