Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
OK I broke down and bought a dozen carbon arrows. They are coming cut to my draw lenght but; I must install the inserts. So what glue does everyone use for inserts in carbon arrows?

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
They make some stuff called goat tuff. I have used it in the past. Now I just use super glue. Basically the same.
sam-r261 UP.Browser/6.2.3.8 (GUI) MMP/2.0

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I use loctite ultra control gel for fletching an installation of inserts.Its a black bottle with a blue cap and blue ribbed sides.I also scuff the inside of the shaft with a rifle bore brush
(.243 cal for std diameter shafts ).Then I take a qtip dipped in acetone or fingernail polish remover(less preferred),and clean the area you scuffed till no more black comes out on the Qtip....I like to screw in a tip(loose) an test fit the insert prior to applying glue..Don't overdue it with glue.I push it in and try to rotate it or the shaft in order to distribute the glue evenly
.Then use a rag or Qtip to take care of the excess glue
.You may need to use a bit of force to get the insert in
.Not saying this is THE METHOD, but its how I do it..

Sent via Campbells soup can an string..

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
DUPLICATE POST

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I received my new carbons yesterday afternoon. I tried what Ohio Mossy Oak suggested and seem to work just fine. I also had to adjust my arrow rest to compensate the carbons, as well as moving the rest up to match my old aluminum arrows overall sitting height. I guess I will start at 10 yards and see how much changed then readjust all my pins accordingly. I had last week backed down my poundage about 57 # and adjusted my sites last weekend before the carbons came. So I get to do all over again this weekend but; that is part of the fun of archery. Does anyone think by switching over to the carbons and dropping the bow poundage from 62 to 57 lbs. I possibly will keep about the same arrow speed I had at 62?

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I received my new carbons yesterday afternoon. I tried what Ohio Mossy Oak suggested and seem to work just fine. I also had to adjust my arrow rest to compensate the carbons, as well as moving the rest up to match my old aluminum arrows overall sitting height. I guess I will start at 10 yards and see how much changed then readjust all my pins accordingly. I had last week backed down my poundage about 57 # and adjusted my sites last weekend before the carbons came. So I get to do all over again this weekend but; that is part of the fun of archery. Does anyone think by switching over to the carbons and dropping the bow poundage from 62 to 57 lbs. I possibly will keep about the same arrow speed I had at 62?
HOLY CRAP:yikes:..Someone listened to me for once:thumbs_up:...

The speed thing depends on to many factors to make a guess on what it did speed wise..If ya give me some info like your draw length setting on bow,what make an model of bow,raw cut to cut carbon 2 carbon length,what make,model an spine arrow,tip weight an what vanes or feathers ya have..I could run the info through the software database an give ya close figure on your current speed etc.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts