Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking into buying a nice straight wall tent...i'd like the canvas but also might get the nylon type...
like to have some pluses and minuses for both...
like storage...does canvas need special precautions to prevent rotting...or

will canvas hold heat in better...or
does any canvas come with floor...as for the canvas it doesnt have to be the big one...maybe a 10x12...

is the canvas harder to put up...can one person do it easily...or

strength in high winds...or heavy snow storms...and leakability...:D

canvas wall tents look very nice in a deer camp too...:D

any info will be greatly appreciated...:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
****, I havnt had much experience with canvas tents in recent time. I had one many years ago with the aluminum poles, it was alright, a bit heavy, but worked well.

I bought my first nylon tent probly 12yrs ago, and quickly got rid of the canvas. The nylon tent is bigger then my old canvas, a whole lot lighter, and much easier to set up. Still have it today.

The good things for the nylon tents....Much lighter, faster putting up, and taking down, I think are better in wind, and a little more affordable, you can get a bigger tent for less money.

Negatives for nylon, I think there are size limitations, havnt seen really big nylon tents. And Damn those straight wall canvas tents really do look cool.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i think i'll be buyin the tent from cabelas...either their straight wall nylon or canvas tent...both take a wood burner ...kinda curious which one holds heat the best...i'd think the canvas would...but i dont know...who knows...:Danybuddy know...:D

·
5,040 Posts
Have used the old style canvass wall tent twice in the last few years for western hunts, both were comfortable, one had a metal pole system the other used wood poles. Both were relatively easy to set up. You might run an add on here, or craigslist, or archery talk, might just find out someone around here has one they will part with. Here's a couple pics from last year in Montana
DSCN1392.jpg

DSCN1391.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have used the old style canvass wall tent twice in the last few years for western hunts, both were comfortable, one had a metal pole system the other used wood poles. Both were relatively easy to set up. You might run an add on here, or craigslist, or archery talk, might just find out someone around here has one they will part with. Here's a couple pics from last year in Montana
View attachment 3566

View attachment 3567
thanks...is that tarps stretched over them?

we did have a guy that used to have one at the deer camp...it was the large one with about 3"diameter alum.poles...also had a large enclosed porch area...i remember it being very warm inside on some of the coldest days we had in camp...i mean there was ice on the pond...:D

·
Administrator
5,398 Posts
I've spent a lot of time in all sorts of tents while I was in the boy scouts and later on as a leader. The Nylon ones are lightweight and shed water very good, but I think for a deer camp tent with a stove and all a canvas one might be better.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Check out Montana Canvas. I just bought a used spike tent 12x12 from a friend and you secure the 4 corners and then put up a center pole. I could probably do it by my self but I have not tried yet. I have had the kids help out. Look into their "blend" version and it is not as heavy. I got a very good deal on mine and it has 5' sidewalls. It will be out West with me next time.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Check out Montana Canvas. I just bought a used spike tent 12x12 from a friend and you secure the 4 corners and then put up a center pole. I could probably do it by my self but I have not tried yet. I have had the kids help out. Look into their "blend" version and it is not as heavy. I got a very good deal on mine and it has 5' sidewalls. It will be out West with me next time.
is there special care for canvas...how about putting it away wet...will it rot...sometimes i've taken my nylon tent down in the rain,boxed it up headed home ,unloaded it into the garage and its rained for a week and its all folded up in a big plastic box...you can get away with that with nylon...what about canvas...i worry if i put out 600-1000 dollars that my canvas tent might end up rotting...as for weight...i can work with that...cabelas has a very good canvas tent and also a very good nylon outfitter type tent...i've seen both in hunting applications at the wnf...they both add to the hunting experience...with great looks and both are prolly very good performance wise as far as comfort...i want this purchase to be the last tent i will have to buy...another question how bout heat retention (from using the stove on cold days)...i'd think canvas would do lots better than nylon...also does your tent have a floor?:biggrin:

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Old canvas tent will rot before you get it home. The newer stuff is treated, but you still have to be careful.

It will hold heat better, but still not well.

Beats the crap outta nylon any day though. Better water resistance, durability and longer service time.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Old canvas tent will rot before you get it home. The newer stuff is treated, but you still have to be careful.

It will hold heat better, but still not well.

Beats the crap outta nylon any day though. Better water resistance, durability and longer service time.

thanks...:biggrin:

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I only have experience with canvas tents during my Boy Scout days as a youth and later when my boys were in Scouting.

We would pack everything up when the tents were wet and took them home. We dried them ASAP so they wouldn't rot or mildew. I do the same thing with my nylon tents. If it's still raining when I get home, I set up some lawn chairs in the garage and drape the wet tent over them. I may use floor fan in there and run it to help dry everything out. They may out last you if you take care of them.

I would go with canvas if you plan on using a wood burning stove or heater.

RGJZ06

·
Registered
717 Posts
I know it's different but I had a canvas cover for my boat. It lasted a good 15 years before the material started to get weak/brittle from the elements. It spent a number of years in the elements 24/7. I'd say at least 5 years it was not stored inside and it was typically in my driveway during the summer months taking a pounding from the sun.

It got mildew/dirty and I'd take it to the car wash and pressure wash it. Like new again.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Yep. It can be pressure washed, but its hard on the seams.

Definitely gotta use canvas if you use a heater of any type. Good advice!

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i'm planning on getting to bellas and hopefully bass pro soon...well not too soon...i gotta generate the extra revenue for an xpensive tent...:Don a side note...wendy is pressuring me to get a solid camper...:eek:...

·
Registered
411 Posts
is there special care for canvas...how about putting it away wet...will it rot...sometimes i've taken my nylon tent down in the rain,boxed it up headed home ,unloaded it into the garage and its rained for a week and its all folded up in a big plastic box...you can get away with that with nylon...what about canvas...i worry if i put out 600-1000 dollars that my canvas tent might end up rotting...as for weight...i can work with that...cabelas has a very good canvas tent and also a very good nylon outfitter type tent...i've seen both in hunting applications at the wnf...they both add to the hunting experience...with great looks and both are prolly very good performance wise as far as comfort...i want this purchase to be the last tent i will have to buy...another question how bout heat retention (from using the stove on cold days)...i'd think canvas would do lots better than nylon...also does your tent have a floor?:biggrin:
I usually just hang mine up in the garage using my deer hoist to hold the D ring. It dries within a few days and it is a blended material so it is not 100% canvas. That is the other thing about the type of tent I have is that you actually can hang it from an overhead limb by the D ring if you have the right tree. Good luck with whatever you choose.

·
Administrator
5,398 Posts
A basement area with some fans running can also be a great place to dry stuff like that out in the winter. Especially if you have a dehumidifier.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts