Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone else listen to the NRA podcast (Cam and Company) last Friday when they had a representative from Buckeyes for concealed carry on the program?

He represents the group trying to allow campus carry at OSU. This is something that currently is allowed on over 200 campuses nationwide. On those campuses so far, there have been no single report of negligent shootings or other problems that the anti-gun crowd foretells.

He discussed how he attended a meeting where Gorden Gee was discussing crime on campus, and how all these steps were being taken to reduce it. The student brought up the point that allowing concealed carry would also help, and was shut down almost immediately. It is already perfectly legal on campus, to leave your gun secured in your car. President Gee essentially told him we could discuss that topic for days, but it will never happen as long as he is president. He also made the statement that according to him, guns are allowed nowhere on campus, even though the law allows it in cars.

He then went on to say how he feels the drinking age should be 18 and how he has told officers to selectively enforce the underage drinking laws.

Interesting how he refuses to enforce the current law in relation to alcohol, but will wrongfully criminalize someone following another law.

The student commented that after the meeting, he approached president Gee and asked what is the difference between carrying on and off campus? Gee told him "I have no authority off campus or there would be no carry there either."

Interesting listen if you can pull it up online.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Anyone who would endorse underage drinking has a screw loose anyway.. Maybe it's time for Gee to step down.

RGJZ06

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

·
7,173 Posts
Surprisingly OSU still has a rifle team. My daughter was asked to start a clay target shooting club(her schedule was to busy) and OSU is behind one of the largest youth shooting programs in the state(4H shooting sports). Hopefully these programs prove Gee doesn't have final say in all matters involving firearms, hopefully someone will be able to override him.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Anyone who would endorse underage drinking has a screw loose anyway.. Maybe it's time for Gee to step down.

RGJZ06

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.
So you saying that if you believe that a man/woman is old enough to die protecting this country then he/she should be old enough to have a drink, then you have a few screws loose?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
I guarantee you there are guns on the OSU Campus. Army ROTC at OSU dates to 1876, and there are Navy and Air Force units also. My son was the distinguished military graduate at OSU his senior year and is now a Major, with two tours in IRAQ and year in Afghanistan. He was on the OSU pistol team.

One night, the rotc guys rappelled into the Ravenna Arsenal. On the return trip to campus the next day, quite a few students got nervous seeing blackhawk choppers landing on campus with a bunch of guys in camo with their M4's returning to their dorms.

Sort of indicates Gordon Gee does not know the History of OSU.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
So you saying that if you believe that a man/woman is old enough to die protecting this country then he/she should be old enough to have a drink, then you have a few screws loose?
I joined the service when I was 17. I did 32 years of active duty service. I saw plenty of drunken service men and women. I have seen many careers wasted to booze. During Shore Patrol I have seen some of our personel at "their finest".

Your idea of a drinking age and mine do not exactly line up. That is if I read this right. Maybe I didn't.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts