Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy won the lottery and invited me to be his secondary this Saturday.

Any advice from folks who have hunted this property before?

We don't know our quadrant yet so looking at Topo maps hasn't been fruitful.

My slug gun is zeroed for 50 yards... anyone get a sense for the max range of a reasonable shot there?

If you do bag a deer, do you field dress and butcher on their property or bring it home?

I've mostly hunted on private property so I know very little about hunting public land.

Best Regards,
atek3

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
It's a big area so what you will hunt in depends on where they put you. Much of it is thick some of it swampy. From my experience you may want to work as a team. One sits while the other tries to move them. What I saw was deer gutted where they drop and transported home on the hoof. Good luck and welcome to the site.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Your best bet is to keep moving around all day. Just play the wind and setup small slow pushes to each other. Try and break down your unit into chunks so you can setup a plan to cover the whole area by the end of the day.
I would say your average shot would be under 50 yards asmost of the area is pottery thick, but there are some open meadow and hardwood areas where you could stretch out a shot.
Also, don’t be afraid to hunt right off the road or right off your parking area. Lots of deer move along the roads as the pressure ramps up.
good luck and let us know how you end up.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Like the others have said but to answer the other questions:

My slug gun is zeroed for 50 yards... anyone get a sense for the max range of a reasonable shot there? Depends on the area but normal shotgun ranges found anywhere else, so whatever your shotgun can handle.

If you do bag a deer, do you field dress and butcher on their property or bring it home? Gut it there. They will also inspect the deer and age it for their own info (at least they have in the past)

·
Registered
41 Posts
You’re gonna see a monster or two.I’ve field dressed as normal out there. My buddy has been drawn 4 years in a row (just so happens to work for the DNR) and he or his wife have smacked a big one out of there every year. Good luck my friend.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts