Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone hunts or has hunted this area? I am planning on camping down there for the last week of the season. (I know I should go earlier, but am unable due to work). How is the terrain and hunting pressure? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Just wondering if anyone hunts or has hunted this area? I am planning on camping down there for the last week of the season. (I know I should go earlier, but am unable due to work). How is the terrain and hunting pressure? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.[/QU I have hunted just a little west of there between Glouster and Murray City on WNF land and Trimble Wildlife Area. Had good luck there. Just get back away from roads. Terrain is typical southeast Ohio wooded and hilly.. I have fished Burr Oak and the terrain is very similar.if you come into Glouster on 78 make a right at the NAPA store. All that land back that county road after you get back there a way7 is WNF.
sam-r261 UP.Browser/6.2.3.8 (GUI) MMP/2.0

·
Registered
23 Posts
wayne national

I live in glouster , right off of 78 . And if ya want a really good place to go ya might wanna go just a bit further by wolfe creek . i been mushroom hunting down there for three weeks and turkeys are going nuts everywere . And one was crossing the road with a hen and was strutting right in front of me . in the middle of the road .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Anyone been down this way for the first week of the season?
I've hunted down there for 2 years in a group of 5 guys and only seen a couple of deer and also went for turkey season one year and heard them but didn't see any we went to coshocton county just last year and seen deer just about every day, so if I was you I would make it up to there

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Burr Oak/WNF area is very rural very rugged. Beautiful. A lot of land for sure. I'd spend a day or two just scouting. Pressure last week will definitely be lighter. Don't forget to hit the lake too- some good bass in there. Good luck. ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've hunted down there for 2 years in a group of 5 guys and only seen a couple of deer and also went for turkey season one year and heard them but didn't see any we went to coshocton county just last year and seen deer just about every day, so if I was you I would make it up to there

Yes the fishing is also good there and the lodge has a great view of the lake good luck

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help guys. Will be leaving in the morning to get away for a week. Anyone been out lately done this way? How have the turkeys been in the mornings? Hopefully gobbling their heads off!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No luck this week. Heard birds everyday on the roost. Think I was about a week late which was to be somewhat expected. Never heard a gobble after 7:30am all week. Definetly some tough hunting. It also doesn't help that the WNF land is not marked at all. At least on state land they have spray paint on the trees. That was really my only complaint besides the raod hunters that ruined my morning today. Read my other thread for the story.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts