Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many die hard bullet casters are there out there. I have been casting bullets for 20 years. The last 10 I haven’t been doing much shooting. But I am planning for a big summer. I have bought a lot of wheel weights and am turning them into 1 pound ingots. Lot of work involved in this but I enjoy shooting my own cast bullets. I can’t get over the price of cast bullets now. So cheap! $20.00 or so for 500. It would make it hard to justify the cost of all the equipment to do it your self. Give us a list of the bullets you cast. Off the top of my head I can’t remember all the weights so here is my list of cal’s.
1 -.224 2 CAV.
2 - .32 A SWC 2 CAV.& a WC.2 CAV.
2 - 9mm 2 different RN RCBS & Lyman both 2 CAV.
2 - .38 A RN 4 CAV.and a WC.2 CAV.
1 - 44 gas check SWC.4 CAV.
1 - 45 LC SWC.4 CAV.
1 45 ACP SWC.4 CAV.

Buckrun

·
Registered
174 Posts
Aren't wheel weights too hard to cast bullets out of ... They are a small percentage tin I believe, I know they make hard sinkers .. I don't know if I would want to run them through my barrel .. I tried them for muzzel loadering once and didn't like them ..

For the 44, 45, 9mm there is a really reasonably priced called that I found a few years back called Berry .. I think the spelling is right .. great target bullet ... They are copper plated not jacketed so they are about have the price .. the calibers I have used I really like .... they don't leave the lead residue, are accurate and cheap ... don't get much better than that for just punching holes ... Plus they don't required a gas check...

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For muzzle loaders you will want pure soft lead. That is what I cast with for my .50 TC Hawkin. For hand guns wheel weights are about right hardness wise. If you are going to shoot hot loads you will want to add tin or linotype. For rifle bullets you would want them even harder. If you think about it a copper jacket is a lot harder than lead or tin. What you don’t want is the lead melting and leading the barrel.
Buckrun

1 - 3 of 3 Posts