Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was gonna take a walk through the woods tomorrow and was thinking about takin the shotgun and some buck shells. Saw some pups a few months ago and I'm gonna try to go back to where I saw them. No. 4 buck, or a good ol 1 1/4oz slug?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Come winter time I'll be laying in the snow calling across the way with a 30-06. :D What choke do you use? I've heard people say that full will deform shot too much for it to fly true

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
#4 buck with a Mod choke patterns great out of my 24in barrel Mossberg 835..I have found 00 does deform with a Ulti-full turk choke in my gun,but have never run the #4 through the latters choke/gun combo....

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll be carrying a Mossberg 500.. I guess I'll just pattern both full and mod tomorrow morning sometime. The neighbors will just have to deal with it! :whistle:

·
Registered
348 Posts
We hunt them with dogs and all of the hunters in woods carry #4 remington 3 inch buckshot all the time with mod.chokes. We've killed over 135 in the last 3 years and haven't had many loses. Those 41 pellets will kill them at 75 yards at times but most of ours are at much less distance.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wish I would have took slugs... :( 40 Yards. Unpatterned gun. Running shot. Failure. Lol, I think I'm going to start taking slugs instead, only because of the simplicity. Plus, I don't want to spend any money on more chokes. I already have what I need for doves and squirrels and such. Slugs it is. Really wish I was using slugs. Oh well, that's the only way you learn

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Never heard of any successful caller/hunter using slugs on yotes. I've used T shot from hevy shot ...expensive but gets way out there and gets it done.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We've shot them during deer season with them. Opens 'em up big time. I'm more experienced with slugs anyways. Plus, the Remington Buckhammers shoot wonders out of my 500. Kick like a mule, but boy are they accurate.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts