Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone seeing many, or any bucks on camera
I have cameras in 3 counties on great properties and not seeing any bucks at all, I know a lot of bucks were killed this year, almost 5000 in the youth 2 day season only, this is the first time not one single buck was seen during the entire gun season including the 2 day bonus season which needs stopped
Very alarming trend to me.
Redarrow7

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have cameras in 3 counties on great properties and not seeing any bucks at all, I know a lot of bucks were killed this year, almost 5000 in the youth 2 day season only, this is the first time not one single buck was seen during the entire gun season including the 2 day bonus season which needs stopped
Redarrow7
ODNR used to send out a survey form to report those variations. And they did follow up on the feedbacks. Have not seen that for about 7 years. Are you seeing the does?

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Lots of deer bucks and does all different times of day on cams it’s not like this every single season some years show less then others. Nothing alarming about it just seasonal movement as the food changes so do the deer locations in my areas a few farmers have passed and once planted ag fields are nothing but overgrown bedding areas now this years fruit trees dropping more fruit then I’ve ever seen the white oaks on over drive and the reds still abundant in my areas yep still getting bucks on cams but if I stayed with traditional locations I probably wouldn’t have seen a single one on cam ….. there’s always a first for everything RA hope 2022 gun seasons not a repeat for you on the buck sighting end but by the sounds of things might be a bit more to your lack of animals then just straw hats possibly ehd has hit and that’s the reason for zero sightings? Many factors stop and think about things for a minute is there buck sign period in that area or void some years I have tore up areas the next don’t have a lick of buck sign it’s just how it goes but that’s hunting….

·
Registered
660 Posts
Most all my shooters have been on cam since Dec 16th, but as of 4:23 this afternoon, one won't be making anymore cameos.

·
Registered
741 Posts
All the mature bucks have vanished since after second season and a Lot of the smaller bucks have dropped either one or both antlers

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Have had half racks since early December both young and so far one mature buck has dropped a side . Currently the bucks out number the doe on cam that I have out 10-1 with several mature bucks in the mix all but a few are after or just before shooting hours.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bucks pretty much disappeared about 6-8 weeks ago. I noticed some signs right near our house, the yard at the treeline 20 yards from the side of the house. That side is our greatroom, all glass, lit up evenings. And there are a half dozen or more bucks hanging out there for half the night.

Bigger bucks are more solitary. I've caught a couple near our pond.

Next year I'll stow the BBQ in the garage and use the BBQ cover for a blind.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
In Pa some bucks have dropped their antlers already too ! A friend killed a 200 lb buck the last day of our rifle season for a doe, it had lost its antlers. I heard reports of some coming off when they were shot and hit the ground and also when the hunter pulled on them. But yet many still do have them. I saw one three days ago that had lost both, and the next evening I saw about a 6 point that still had both and appeared to be cruising looking for the scent of a hot doe.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Only a couple mature bucks, but I still have almost all the bucks on cam I had during bow season around my place. It's funny how they avoid the pressure.....my area got pounded during gun season. Tons of shooting and hard hunting pressure all around. Only two does Monday mid-morning were seen all week on my property. However, every night the cams picked up the bucks. I had 9 bucks that were regular (nothing to write home about I didn't want to kill any of them). I still have 8 of the 9 on camera including the 2 mature deer. I also had 2 different mature 10 pointers show up gun week....I'm guessing from across the road where it was getting pounded with hunting pressure. I don't have a single half rack on cam they are all still holding even the spike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Only a couple mature bucks, but I still have almost all the bucks on cam I had during bow season around my place. It's funny how they avoid the pressure.....my area got pounded during gun season. Tons of shooting and hard hunting pressure all around. Only two does Monday mid-morning were seen all week on my property. However, every night the cams picked up the bucks. I had 9 bucks that were regular (nothing to write home about I didn't want to kill any of them). I still have 8 of the 9 on camera including the 2 mature deer. I also had 2 different mature 10 pointers show up gun week....I'm guessing from across the road where it was getting pounded with hunting pressure. I don't have a single half rack on cam they are all still holding even the spike.
Pressure on my 50 acres is light, but a neighbor hosts hunters on his property. He has had very few hunters this year, so that may have changed the deer patterns I'm used to seeing. I also haven't seen any deer with dropped antlers yet. I'm in SE Ohio/

Muzzleloader season starts tomorrow, we got some snow & high winds last night, maybe that'll change things up?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Redarrow7
Aren’t you arguing against cameras in another post because they cut out the element of surprise?? Seems a bit odd that you’re arguing against them but yet are allowing the data you’re getting from them (or not getting) to hold weight. Hmm

·
Registered
325 Posts
The only buck I have a camera lately was a shed buck in 12/22.
Going to get my cams tomorrow. Have not been there since 15 November. They usually come to my place when the guns start. We'll see.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I have my first shed buck on camera this week. Can't be sure, but I know he is a young one. He is a slick head and lost them both. I also had a new stud of a buck show up on camera! He is one that 110% has my attention. Odds are slim, but we have some time left. I know which direction he came in from and would venture he is bedding in the neighbors very thick cover from logging bordering me there. If not a late season chance encounter he will be #1 on my list to hunt next season.

Saw a fat doe strapped on a trailer during the lunch hour headed north yesterday. Have not been hearing any shots after opening weekend. Only have been 1-2 trucks at the public land pull offs I pass going to and fro (very little pressure after Sunday). A couple visible gut piles from the weekend roadside on the very popular public land to the north. The coyotes and birds will get to it, but I wish guys would just do this maybe 50 ft off the road please. It doesn't appeal to everybody and especially local women I know (whom own a lot of land around these parts). Also quite debatable Saturday evening on if the doe only rules were being followed....awful lot of shots on a couple pieces of public land evidently. Who knows.

The wind shifted to the South maybe a little southwest which is not good for the house. I am planning to skip with the wind and do work online and will focus on the late bow instead. I may load up and just step behind the pond and watch the opening out back until quitting time, but am feeling lazy with that wind. I'll be hoping for some cold weather to finish out the bow season!

Good luck!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Aren’t you arguing against cameras in another post because they cut out the element of surprise?? Seems a bit odd that you’re arguing against them but yet are allowing the data you’re getting from them (or not getting) to hold weight. Hmm
Tha was b4 my post, I have tons of cameras, but I can take them or leave them.

·
Ohio Sportsman
2,044 Posts
Many bucks on camera late season. I think around 4-5 have shed 1 side so far. No different than any other year at this time in Miami County.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts