Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw grant woods put of pictures and some of is older bucks already have 2inches of velvet coming out of their head!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Last camera check had bucks with 2 inches velvet. And some with none. And some with horns still. That was April 1st

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Last camera check had bucks with 2 inches velvet. And some with none. And some with horns still. That was April 1st
Thats pretty similar to whats goin on in southwest ohio. some of the big guys still have headggear too. which worries me a little as to how much growin time they will have
LGE-VM510 NetFront/3.5.1 (GUI) MMP/2.0

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
This is all interesting stuff. So if anybody has an explanation please share.

My Understanding is:
Health is the single most reason for shedding early.
and Testosterone levels start the shedding process but usually occurs the same time every year.

Soooo!
Maybe with no stress and lots of late born doe fawns. ??
Not enough bucks to breed the fawns causing extended breeding season.

·
Registered
339 Posts
This is all interesting stuff. So if anybody has an explanation please share.

My Understanding is:
Health is the single most reason for shedding early.
and Testosterone levels start the shedding process but usually occurs the same time every year.

Soooo!
Maybe with no stress and lots of late born doe fawns. ??
Not enough bucks to breed the fawns causing extended breeding season.
Actually you have it backwards...
Stress causes earlier than normal shedding. When you see bucks holding their antlers into springtime, they are healthy and show sign of a less stressful rut.
Ideally, a buck will hold his antlers until the new grownth causes the hard antlers to fall off.

As for the late born fawns...it could be a matter of many different factors. Most of the time the really late born fawns are due to the mother either missed conception earlier in the fall, or the mother could have been a young deer and wasnt receptive until later in the rut (ex: Jan-early Feb)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts