Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
22,534 Posts
Finally getting some time to catch up a little!!:D

Urban Meyer is well on his way in making this OSU team his own. Since Late November of last year, The Urban train has been in fast forward and continues to be as of today, with his most recent commitments of Marcus Baugh from California, Tracy Sprinkle from Ohio and today landing JT Barrett(QB) from Texas.

The country's No. 1 dual-threat quarterback, JT Barrett (Wichita Falls, Texas/Rider), has committed to Ohio State.

"I feel Ohio State is the place for me," Barrett said. "And I felt if I would have went somewhere else I would be missing out. So I wanted to be a part of the Buckeye family.

Barrett visited Ohio State near the end of March and came away with a great feeling about the Buckeyes. He told Bucknuts.com earlier that Ohio State, LSU, Texas Tech and Nebraska were his top choices at that time and he would make another trip back to Ohio State, most likely in the summer.

Barrett's list of scholarship offers included Ohio State, Nebraska, LSU, Texas Tech, Arizona, Illinois, Ole Miss, Baylor, Kansas State and Mississippi State before he selected the Buckeyes.

The 6-foot-2 and 205-pound Barrett completed 102 of 171 passes for 1,605 yards during his junior season. He connected for 14 touchdowns with seven interceptions. Barrett also rushed for 1,521 yards and nine touchdowns.

Barrett is a 4-star prospect in the 247Sports rankings. He is the country's No. 1 dual threat quarterback, the No. 38 overall prospect and the No. 7 overall prospect in the state of Texas. He is commitment No. 10 for the Buckeyes, who have the nation's seventh-ranked recruiting class for the 2013 cycle.
Since late November Meyer has recruited and has commitments for 22 players to date. Not bad for less then 5 months at OSU.:coolgleamA:

The Spring game is coming up this weekend and the list below has become very extensive and with some surprises. For those of you that know Joey Bosa, who visited last week and wasn't really in the radar as a OSU lean(Several SEC teams were ahead), all of sudden has become a prime candidate to join this group in the coming year after announcing he is coming back this weekend!!!. The defensive line is quickly becoming devastating! That makes this weekend a very interesting one. Meyer can potentially get a few more new recruits in house with Bosa, Heureman and Anzalone who are rumored now to being very close to making a decision.

Current spring game attendees- this is fluid and still can change and some more can be added before this weekend-

• CB Eli Woodard (commit)
• CB Cam Burrows (commit)
• S Jayme Thompson (commit)
• DL Tracy Sprinkle (commit)
• TE Mike Heuerman
• LB Alex Anzalone
• CB Mackensie Alexander
• CB Mackenro Alexander
• DE/OLB Lewis Neal
• LB Courtney Love
• LB Tim Kimbrough
• DT Maurice Hurst Jr.
• WR James Quick
• RB Corey Clement
• QB Chavas Rawlins
• OL Kyle Meadows
• DB Reon Dawson
• ATH Caleb Day
• ATH Ryan Timmons
• RB William Houston
• QB Mitch Trubisky
• DL Joey Bosa
• DB/LB Chris Worley
• Armani Reeves (2012)
• Cam Williams (2012)
• Noah Spence (2012)
• Frank Epitropoulos (2012)
• De'Van Bogard (2012)
• Adolphus Washington (2012)
• Jamal Marcus (2012)
• Najee Murray (2012)
• Warren Ball (2012)
• David Perkins (2012)
• Pat Elflein (2012)
• Kyle Dodson (2012)
• Blake Thomas (2012)
• QB Drew Barker (2014)
• WR Dominique Booth (2014)
• ATH Dareian Watkins (2014)
• DB Devon Rogers (2014)

Meyer's National Recruiting philosophy is beginning to get more legs as you can see where he is spending his time in the 2014 recruiting class, with only two Ohio players on the radar- currently. There will be a few more as time evolves and the talent he is looking for becomes part of his recruitment process.

His 2014 National Targets to date are as follows-

Quarterbacks
NR William Crest 6'2" 190 lbs. Baltimore (MD) Dunbar

Running Backs
NR Jonathan Haden 5'8" 190 lbs. Washington (DC) Friendship Collegiate Academy

Offensive Lineman
NR Jimmy Byrne 6'4" 275 lbs. Cleveland (OH) St. Ignatius
NR Damian Prince 6'7" 300 lbs. Forestville (MD) Bishop McNamara

Defensive Lineman
NR Sam Mustipher 6'3" 270 lbs. Olney (MD) Good Counsel
NR Malik McDowell 6'6" 260 lbs. Detroit (MI) Loyola
NR Da'Shawn Hand 6'5" 245 lbs. Woodbridge (VA) Senior HS
NR Andrew Brown 6'4" 280 lbs. Chesapeake (VA) Indian Run

Linebackers
NR Kevin Crosby 6'2" 225 lbs. Bamberg (SC) Bamberg-Ehrhardt
NR Raekwon McMillan 6'3" 235 lbs. Hinesville (GA) Liberty County
NR Kain Daub 6'3" 227 lbs. Ponte Vedra Beach (FL) Allen D Nease Senior
NR Dante Booker 6'3" 210 lbs. Akron (OH) St. Vincent-St. Mary

Defensive Backs
NR Jalen Tabor 6'1" 168 lbs. Washington (DC) Friendship Collegiate Academy
NR Quin Blanding 6'2" 185 lbs. Virginia Beach (VA) Bayside
NR D'Andre Payne 5'10" 170 lbs. Washington (DC) H.D. Woodson

Athletes
NR Johnathan Lloyd 6'0" 175 lbs. Graham (NC) Southern Alamance

Stay tuned…..this weekend could be interesting and quickly becoming really fun to watch!!!:bouncy:

·
22,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just passed Ann Arbor cruising thru nagihicm...Not for fun, for work after meeting a client. It's pretty cloudy and dark here...:biggrin:

Looks like a full roster- Elijah Daniel will be at the Spring Game according to Bill Greene, and Derrick Green-reportedly, not offical will also be there. If Green becomes official..all that were rumored will be there.

Gibson supposedly will announce on his Mother Birthday in June- With about 18(or so) scollies available and 10 filled, it will be ineresting to see which ones get on board.

·
22,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update-

Just under 70,000 tickets sold for tomorrow's spring game, and RB Derrick Green is confrmed which now fills the list.

Can they set an attendence record tomorrow for a spring game? :coolgleamA:

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Update-

Just under 70,000 tickets sold for tomorrow's spring game, and RB Derrick Green is confrmed which now fills the list.

Can they set an attendence record tomorrow for a spring game? :coolgleamA:
i think so...many want a look at "bourbon" and the buckeyes new look...i hear they will be really airing it out..."bourbon" wants to see some"big plays"...going back to the cooper years...:bouncy:

·
22,534 Posts
You can add #11 to the list for 2013 with Alex Anzalone committing yesterday at the spring game. This 6'3" 230lb linebacker from Wyomissing, PA is a 4 star rated LB and had around 30 offers to choose from. Nice addition to the class.:thumbs_up:

He is the 4th player to commit to the Buckeyes this week. :coolgleamA:

·
22,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:thumbs_up:

#12 and #13 are in- Bosa was a huge addition!!!!:D Our D line will be incredible.

Ohio State may have landed their biggest fish thus far in the 2013 recruiting class, as Fort Lauderdale (FL) St. Thomas Aquinas DL Joey Bosa has committed to Ohio State, giving the Buckeyes 12 commits in the class of 2013.

Bosa was long considered to be favoring Alabama, but took a tour to the Midwest last week and "fell in love" with Ohio State while in Columbus. He enjoyed his time in Buckeyeland so much that he decided to make a return trip this week for the Spring Game, where his feelings about the university were made firm and he gave a verbal commitment to Urban Meyer and the OSU coaching staff.

Bosa is regarded as a top two defensive end in the nation and when he gets to campus he will join of the of the coutnry's best units that will include Adolphus Washington, Se'Von Pittman, Tommy Schutt, Noah Spence, and others. Everyone knows Urban Meyer loves winning games in the trenches (see: 2006 National Championship Game) and Bosa just gives the Buckeye head man more bullets in the barrel to use on opposing offenses.
Just moments after Florida DE Joey Bosa committed to Ohio State, North Carolina DE/LB Lewis Neal made the call as well, becoming the Buckeye's thirteenth member of the '13 class.

Heuerman #14? :biggrin:

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Joey Bosa and Lewis Neal have made the call and picked the good guys. Heurman is on deck........:bouncy:

Good news travels fast. It's nice to hace the #2 rated DE in the country, 2 years in a row.

·
22,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Joey Bosa and Lewis Neal have made the call and picked the good guys. Heurman is on deck........:bouncy:

Good news travels fast. It's nice to hace the #2 rated DE in the country, 2 years in a row.
Sure is and The D-line is just loaded.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
didn't think Neal was Buckeye caliber player, but they are taking him as a LB I guess.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Neal - Withers/Fickell see him as a hybrid LEO guy and think he will fit that role in our scheme. He'll have his hand in the dirt some plays in our D. They really like him for this specific role and rate him high. He has incredible 10 yard times as well as good lateral quickness. He has been tearing up camps, but his film doesn't excite some.

Red - many feel the same way (not OSU material) and think this is a head scratcher. Withers sees something there and he knows D lineman.

This in no way impacts Smith; although they all say he is ND bound. And from what I hear Kimbrough has not received the ok on one academic issue to become a Buckeye. They would certainly still find room for Smith if he were to change his mind.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Neal - Withers/Fickell see him as a hybrid LEO guy and think he will fit that role in our scheme. He'll have his hand in the dirt some plays in our D. They really like him for this specific role and rate him high. He has incredible 10 yard times as well as good lateral quickness. He has been tearing up camps, but his film doesn't excite some.

Red - many feel the same way (not OSU material) and think this is a head scratcher. Withers sees something there and he knows D lineman.

This in no way impacts Smith; although they all say he is ND bound. And from what I hear Kimbrough has not received the ok on one academic issue to become a Buckeye. They would certainly still find room for Smith if he were to change his mind.
Jaylon is all ND from what I hear too. A kid like Neal is where you just trust the coaches know more than us, haha. McCray is one kid for UM that is in the same boat. I'm just in the boat where I trust the coaches. After Lowly rated kids like Jake Ryan, and Frank Clark tore it up as freshmen last year for us after being rated so low, I'm forced to:)

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Yep, fans get caught up in recruiting service rankings when most of those guys have not a clue....I trust the guys that get paid millions and have proven they know how to spot talent. Offer lists often tell the tale.

Luke Roberts, an unranked freshman from Lancaster everybody threw fits about last year is outperformed our big name guys this spring. Very promising reports on him and he was one nobdy gave a thought - just a backup player if you asked the fans.

I like you trust our staff..if Vrable, Fickell and Withers all say take the kid there is obviously something there. We can take a couple "project" type guys with high ceilings with our depth on the D line.

Some of OSU's most prized recruits have added nothing to the program while guys nobody heard of became All Americans. Trust your coaches to find the right guys.

·
22,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Some of OSU's most prized recruits have added nothing to the program while guys nobody heard of became All Americans. Trust your coaches to find the right guys.
I am sure you remember where AJ Hawk and M. Jenkins were rated back then, and how far they excelled in the program.

Keep you eye on Sprinkle. I watched him play last fall for Elyria, and I think the coaches found a high energy, intense player with a good understanding of the game. Could turn into something if he continues to work on his game.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I am sure you remember where AJ Hawk and M. Jenkins were rated back then, and how far they excelled in the program.

Keep you eye on Sprinkle. I watched him play last fall for Elyria, and I think the coaches found a high energy, intense player with a good understanding of the game. Could turn into something if he continues to work on his game.
Hell, damn near every 3* ranked LB you guys recruited the past 10 years turned into all americans while the 5 stars (DeAndrea, Sabino) have struggled

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Yep - add D. Bell and Grant (although Grant is only a soph) to the "can't miss" guys that did nothing.

Sprinkle - the kid is 260lbs, runs like a deer and hits like a mack truck! He's a VERY hard worker, has a nose for the ball, relentless motor, has a nice reach with long arms; he's just not all that sound on technique. He's got room to add good weight too. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him crack the 2 deep some day. It wouldn't suprise a bunch of big name coaches that have been in contact recently either. He is going to get more attention as time rolls on even though he has given his verbal.

Front 7 is looking very nasty at OSU for years to come.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Yep - add D. Bell and Grant (although Grant is only a soph) to the "can't miss" guys that did nothing.

Sprinkle - the kid is 260lbs, runs like a deer and hits like a mack truck! He's a VERY hard worker, has a nose for the ball, relentless motor, has a nice reach with long arms; he's just not all that sound on technique. He's got room to add good weight too. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him crack the 2 deep some day. It wouldn't suprise a bunch of big name coaches that have been in contact recently either. He is going to get more attention as time rolls on even though he has given his verbal.

Front 7 is looking very nasty at OSU for years to come.
Yea, your D Line recruits last 2 years are sick. I'm glad Hoke has put together 2 nasty O Line classes in a row. Should be awesome watching those guys battle it out next couple years.

UM missed out on EJ Levenberry. He chose FSU over us. Gotta hand it to the kid, he admitted he woulda chose UM but we don't offer criminal justice degree and FSU does. Can't be angry about a kid who actually stresses academics

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Neal decomitted today from ohio right after LSU picked him up. Just looking at him, I'd not lose any sleep over him going elsewhere

·
22,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Interesting negative news today- Anzalone decomitted. I'm hearing a few reasons, but will wait until confirmed.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Interesting negative news today- Anzalone decomitted. I'm hearing a few reasons, but will wait until confirmed.
I'm hearing Bosa is next. I've also heard the reasons too. Pretty sickening stuff. Not gonna be pretty once this hits the national media. Could be really bad publicity once again

1 - 20 of 77 Posts