Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This picture was taken last week at a small property that I hunt. I just wanted your guys' opinions on how many points this deer has. I can't tell if it's an even 10 with the drop tine on the left, or if it's a nine pointer with the drop tine on the left. The tine in question would be 2nd from the brow tine on the deer's right antler. Opinions? (this deer was on camera a few times last year but had snapped off it's right antler early in the season)
Plant Flower Herbaceous plant Groundcover Shrub

·
Ohio Sportsman
2,000 Posts
Very nice picture BTW! Agree w/SW.

Reactions: Luke Oesterling

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I see 4 points on the right and five on the left...plus a drop tine. Hope you get him!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I have an update on this buck. There have been no sightings of this deer all year since the initial picture by any of the 4 people who hunt the property. However, on the Saturday of gun week, unfortunately someone did. I say 'unfortunately' because of the guy who saw it. I won't name any names (I'm fairly certain that multiple people on this cite would recognize this guy) but he is the landowner's father in law. That being said, it's kind of hard to refuse him hunting access. Over the past few years he has definitely proved that he doesn't hold himself to the standards that even your average hunter is able to. (I won't go into all of the issues and examples from the past, but let's just say that any time one of us does something stupid, they are said to be pulling a 'Mr. ____'). Now let's get back to the deer. Apparently as he was sitting in the stand on Saturday and happened to see this deer working it's way across in front of him at about 50 yards with a couple of does. He said that he could just make out the deer's neck and head. Despite the dense brush and being completely unable to see the deer's body, let alone vitals, he aimed approximately where he thought the chest was and shot. He said that the buck ran twenty yards, stopped and looked back at him, and walked out of view. He claims that he found no blood and assumes that he missed. The fact alone that he took that kind of shot ticks me off. However, the part that really makes me mad is the fact that he not only already shot 2 button bucks on that property this year, but shot also already shot a buck this year in Ohio. We already know that this guy is dumb (he didn't even know when opening day was) but even he knows you can't shoot more than one buck per year in Ohio. I don't know what his plan was if he had actually connected but the whole thing just really pisses me off. If you pull the trigger on a buck, that's your decision. Game Over. If a bigger one walks by the next day, you don't get a second chance. That's hunting.
Sorry for the rant, but I know many of you can understand.
Just don't be that guy.

·
Registered
637 Posts
1800POACHER

Reactions: ohiohornhunter

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
It's a tough situation at times .

Hopefully the situation can be resolved but with him being the father in law I'd tread lightly . Usually blood is thicker than water . And family pretty much always wins .

Hopefully he missed that deer . But if it turns up dead then you'll have some proof to call the warden about . Otherwise it will just turn into a he said she said thing . Without a dead deer there won't be any evidence for the dnr to charge him . They could talk to him and they may set him straight but from the sounds of this guy I don't think it will matter .

Good luck . Seems like there's always something to deal with .

·
Registered
958 Posts
Right is Right and wrong is wrong ..... but like Carpn-jake said Blood is thicker than water and usually wins. And then again your going on what he told you, that he shot at the big buck but found no blood. That could be a big BS story trying to stir the pot a lil bit. If he had shot and killed it I would’ve had to say something to him, loss of hunting property or not. But with no evidence of blood or deer I think i might just let it ride and maybe start looking for a different place to hunt.

·
Registered
810 Posts
The GW can't do anything. It's only illegal to kill a second buck, not to shoot at a second buck. Poor ethics, absolutely. Rise to the level of a crime, no.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts