Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently started hunting a property up in Brown county. It's roughly ~70 acres. Unfortunately, most of the property is cow pasture with horses and cattle running around. Any advice on how to best hunt this property given I can't throw out any corn, mineral licks, etc? I've tried and it all gets eaten by the cows. Below is a map of the property and the two main locations I've hunted thus far (red circles). I've seen deer, but hardly ever see any bucks. Mainly just groups of does running through. I can't tell where the deer are coming from, but I don't think this entire property is an active food plot for the deer as all of the fields are just grass for the cattle. There is a creek that runs through the property through the woods.

upload_2018-10-8_14-29-13.png

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've got the same problem on my daughter's place in KY. Fence off a 40-50 foot circle around the feeder with a solar fence charger and some poly tape. The deer will hop right over it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got the same problem on my daughter's place in KY. Fence off a 40-50 foot circle around the feeder with a solar fence charger and some poly tape. The deer will hop right over it.
My only issue with that is the farmer probably wouldn't let me fence off an area to put down feed.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I only seem to see deer either right at sunlight or sunset. It's very seldom that I see deer other than right at daybreak or minutes before last shot due to visibility.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Even in the woods with temporary stakes? It shouldn't affect the cattles grazing and can be taken down in 5 minutes.
I could try and give that a shot as long as I get permission from the land owner. If anything, it would have to be in the woods. Do you have any other words of advice for attracting more deer to the area?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I could try and give that a shot as long as I get permission from the land owner. If anything, it would have to be in the woods. Do you have any other words of advice for attracting more deer to the area?
I'm am by no means an expert so my advice is probably worth what you paid for it but it sounds to me like some scouting is in order. Where have you been seeing the deer? Deer generally don't eat grass if they have other choices but they will eat clover and other stuff growing in with it. If you are seeing them in the fields early and late try to find where they are entering and exiting, they will sometimes have a staging area inside the tree line they will hang out in for a while. A feeder might encourage them to hang out a little longer and the trail between there and their bedding areas are a good place to set up.

Are there any oaks in those woods? Deer love acorns and a good stand of oaks can be a goldmine, probably better than a corn pile this time of year.

Also, steve is right, if you are seeing does the bucks are around.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I generally see the deer in the woods. I haven't seen many that come into the fields. They seem to be coming from food plots off of the land I hunt and travel along the woods and creek. I think I'm just usually seeing them as they are passing by, but I'm really trying to figure out a way to keep them in the area longer. Maybe I'll try to get something setup with the tape lines. I probably can't do a feeder, but I can throw some corn and stuff out there.

I'm hunting not too far from Russellville. Almost into Adams county.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
If there are bigger chunks of woods that the creek bottom connects too, be patient. Come November those bucks will use the creek to get back and forth checking the does. Pick a spot on a good trail with the right wind and wait. They will come.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Im just guessing since the cattle have free reign of the property but are the woods pretty open and can see a good distance. On a property like that I would try to find the thickest areas there and get downwind and observe. Once you pinpoint where/how they are leaving and entering the thick areas then revise your plan to move in closer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've always noticed that the deer tend to run the old fence lines of the properties that's usually where I start looking for any signs of movement in and out of the property just taking a walk around the entire perimeter of the property will tell you a lot look for.old rubs and old scrapes along the fence lines and mainly look for certain areas along the fence that have been cleared out by them jumping it over the years good luck..looks like a good piece of property..

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've always noticed that the deer tend to run the old fence lines of the properties that's usually where I start looking for any signs of movement in and out of the property just taking a walk around the entire perimeter of the property will tell you a lot look for.old rubs and old scrapes along the fence lines and mainly look for certain areas along the fence that have been cleared out by them jumping it over the years good luck..looks like a good piece of property..
Funny you say that because there is a fence line that runs through the woods by the creek and this is the main area where I've seen deer movement. They hug the fence line and use that when moving.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Funny you say that because there is a fence line that runs through the woods by the creek and this is the main area where I've seen deer movement. They hug the fence line and use that when moving.
They've also got cheap feeders for 35 to 40 bucks that just strap to the tree , shoot I've even made them out of a 5 gal bucket and a few pieces of pvc pipe and strap that to the tree any how just have too figure out how to keep the cows off of it but yep the old fence line trick usually tells a lot , them bucks follow them does around also , I'd set a stand up somewhere close just too watch that fence line good luck hope to see a pic of whatever you harvest.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts