close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Broadheads for an older bow..

Discussion in 'Ohio Bowhunting' started by 419Bear, Sep 23, 2012.

1. I know the broadheads topic is somewhat beat up but I have what might be are more particular question.

I was planning on getting a new bow. The new bows as most know shoot somewhere around 305-340 fps. I decided due to cost and more the comfortableness I am just going to use my old bow. It's an older Barnett Safari I got when I was 15 or 16. I am going tomorrow to set it up and refit it with upgraded components etc. Looking it up it only shoots around 255-260ish fps at maximum velocity.

Now I understand this is much slower but I am completely confident in how it performs in the field having taken more then a few deer with it. My question is should I adjust which broadheads I shoot due to this? Since obviously most of the new broadheads are made more for the faster bows. Should I attempt to find some strange brand or weight to shoot with?

All my shots will be kept within about 30 yards. I canjnot remember the arrows I shot but they were easton XX17's I think.. Been awhile. I have another 3 weeks before I am out in the field so I have time to get back in shooting shape.

2. Nimrod

Nimrod Staff Member Super Mod Mod

Cut on impact broadheads are best for low speed bows. As an example, every traditonal bow shooter I know use non-expandable, cut on impact (blade tipped) broadheads. This is my first recommendation. If your shopping for any other heads, I suggest a quality broadhead such as Muzzy, Slick Tricks, etc. Expandables are known for requiring more FPS for full deployment.

3. Well I was asking more if I should look for a higher weight head etc. Attempt to increase the kinetic force since my speed wont be there. I was planning on using fixed anyway. I guess i should have been more clear.

Thank you though.

4. I would shoot something around 125gr. I had an older Pearson Renegade that wasnt a fast bow. Maybe 240-250fps and I killed a lot of deer with it shooting Thunderhead 125s. They are a great broadhead imo. I shot them on xx75 2216 arrows.
    sam-r261 UP.Browser/6.2.3.8 (GUI) MMP/2.0