Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some stratagies for hunting big bucks in the hills of southeastern ohio, i will be hunting hocking, vinton, ross counties this fall. Thanks J.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Hunt the tops and sides of ridges and funnels pinch points and thick cover

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
If there are any vallyes with cricks runnin through it hunt that. If there are acorns, hunt wherever that theyre at

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Those are the wrong county's there aren't any big bucks there! If there was I would say over CORN thats what the people around me do..

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Yup, they're bout as bad as those Catholics, Jews, Baptists and Protestants.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Yup, they're bout as bad as those Catholics, Jews, Baptists and Protestants.

Yeah, I didn't mean anything to do with their religion, just how they hunt. and everywhere ive been in vinton county the amish are everywhere. nothing wrong with them or them hunting and doing as they want. all im saying is they kill everything they see....you can do the math from there. I havent heard of the catholics getting together everyday of gun season and shooting anything that moves! Of course im not catholic so what the heck do i know.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Yeah, I didn't mean anything to do with their religion, just how they hunt. and everywhere ive been in vinton county the amish are everywhere. nothing wrong with them or them hunting and doing as they want. all im saying is they kill everything they see....you can do the math from there. I havent heard of the catholics getting together everyday of gun season and shooting anything that moves! Of course im not catholic so what the heck do i know.
I know, I was just bein a smartass.

A lot of folks kill everything the see, but they all don't dress alike to be lumped together. I know a lot of folks in Shawnee that do the exact same thing. I used to hunt with them, but it's not my style so I try to refrain as much as possible, but do like the company.
The difference with the Amish is most are not out there for sport, they're strictly lookin for meat, same as the folks in Shawnee. Can't hardly blame a man for tryin to feed his family.
I'm also willing to bet there's a 100+ fold difference in the amount of deer killed by the Amish and the non Amish; there's just not that many of them.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
******** get together and kill everything they see as well as other normal hunters will do too...deer drives are very common and is used more by the average anglo saxon hunter ...lots more than amish...i mean lets face it ...it has nothing to do with religion...but everything to do with the method...:D

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
I know, I was just bein a smartass.

A lot of folks kill everything the see, but they all don't dress alike to be lumped together. I know a lot of folks in Shawnee that do the exact same thing. I used to hunt with them, but it's not my style so I try to refrain as much as possible, but do like the company.
The difference with the Amish is most are not out there for sport, they're strictly lookin for meat, same as the folks in Shawnee. Can't hardly blame a man for tryin to feed his family.
I'm also willing to bet there's a 100+ fold difference in the amount of deer killed by the Amish and the non Amish; there's just not that many of them.

I know there aren't that many, but they are pretty concentrated. Hence my advice- if you see amish hunting- go hunt another place!

******** get together and kill everything they see as well as other normal hunters will do too...deer drives are very common and is used more by the average anglo saxon hunter ...lots more than amish...i mean lets face it ...it has nothing to do with religion...but everything to do with the method...:D
I know plenty of ******** and hillbilly's who shoot everything they see! i try not be caught in the same place as them though. I respect the amish for being able to provide for their families that way. I wish i could get through without spending money! then again I like electric, espn, my car, and other luxuries too much to live that lifestyle....not to mention i cant grow a beard!

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
its seems year after year at the deer an turk expo i see more and more amish...i must wonder...why...and how do they get there...:mischeif:

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Hey the amish have some pretty sweet rides. i was coming home from the rang the other day and passed a horse and buggy with neon lights that ran the length and shape of the carriage. pretty cool really. i think they were pretty modern amish. i talked to them for a while and gave them some pork from a hog we killed. they love em some jowl bacon! seemed like a bunch of good ol boys with beards and hats!
LGE-VM510 NetFront/3.5.1 (GUI) MMP/2.0

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
its seems year after year at the deer an turk expo i see more and more amish...i must wonder...why...and how do they get there...:mischeif:
They prob pile in a van and have someone else drive them there, I've seen that alot.

·
Banned
955 Posts
In my experiences hunting the hills of SE Ohio one of the hardest things to figure out is where they bed. It seems like, atleast on my place, they will bed anywhere. Sure they have areas they tend to bed more in, but I have jumped deer bedded in almost every area of my property.

Having said that.........one of the best ways I have found to hunt them are trails leading from bedding to food. In my case, I have food plots and feeders out and I get between where I think they are bedding and their food and vice versa (morning hunts). I also have had decent luck using creek crossings if there are steep sides and one area is flat where they can easily cross. I killed one of my best bucks during the rut using this set up. Also pinch points....anywhere that narrows down significantly would be a great area. Finally, going against what other people are saying, typically your creek bottoms will be the thickest area....I have had great luck catching cruising bucks following creek bottoms to check doe bedding areas. On my property it is very difficult to hunt high without alarming deer except in two areas (easy access to tops from road). I have to walk through quite a bit of timber to get to the tops and that defeats the purpose IMO. I also try to hunt the perimeter and not penetrate the property. On small acreages, this is key to not alarming deer. My best buck to date killed off my place was only 150 yards off the county road. I try to make as much of my place a sanctuary as possible.

Good luck! The SE hills can be a challenge, but there are some nice deer roaming around down there.

As far as Amish.....I have an Amish neighbor and he has been one of the best neighbors I have. Never trespasses and always willing to help me drag a deer out. Maybe he is in the minority, but he has been a great neighbor. I wish I could say the same for the rest of my neighbors who are not amish.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
In kentucky we hunt similar terrain. seems the deer always bed on the mountain tops so we rarely go up there. i agree on the creek crossings. those are always good activity spots. also if u can find some topped trees the deer always like to affternoon bed there
LGE-VM510 NetFront/3.5.1 (GUI) MMP/2.0

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Last yr was my first hunting the big woods of se ohio. One of my main observations , as was mentioned earlier, was how they bed on the hilltops. Most roads wind thru the valleys and youhave to climb, sometims steep hillsides and i kept getting busted by deer when doing so. So im looking at other options for this year like finding pinch points or benches that i can access without causing too much of a stir. I tend to avoid creek bottoms as breezes are pretty unpredictable there and u get busted alot.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Last yr was my first hunting the big woods of se ohio. One of my main observations , as was mentioned earlier, was how they bed on the hilltops. Most roads wind thru the valleys and youhave to climb, sometims steep hillsides and i kept getting busted by deer when doing so. So im looking at other options for this year like finding pinch points or benches that i can access without causing too much of a stir. I tend to avoid creek bottoms as breezes are pretty unpredictable there and u get busted alot.
noise...this is why i tell hunters to learn the roads in the forest and all the pull offs to park your vehicle...theres always an access road(gaswell)or forest footpath...this is why you need to use these...you can walk 1/2 mile to the middle of the woods by these roads/trails causing very lil disturbance...once youre to your spot you have a short walk to your stand thru the forest...i many times will set my stand within 20 yds.of a gaswell road...causing even less noise/scent...going no more than 100 yds. from a foot path or gas road is about all you need...less disturbance and when you can see the road/forest trail you shouldnt get lost...i have had hunters walk on gas roads after i was on stand just a few yards from the road and see deer walk down the road not long after they were out of sight...they are used to hunters being there but the farther that scent is from the road the more concerned deer are...learn all the pulloffs and the human trail system in the forest...forest topo maps will show all these trails/roads...:D:biggrin:

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
noise...this is why i tell hunters to learn the roads in the forest and all the pull offs to park your vehicle...theres always an access road(gaswell)or forest footpath...this is why you need to use these...you can walk 1/2 mile to the middle of the woods by these roads/trails causing very lil disturbance...once youre to your spot you have a short walk to your stand thru the forest...i many times will set my stand within 20 yds.of a gaswell road...causing even less noise/scent...going no more than 100 yds. from a foot path or gas road is about all you need...less disturbance and when you can see the road/forest trail you shouldnt get lost...i have had hunters walk on gas roads after i was on stand just a few yards from the road and see deer walk down the road not long after they were out of sight...they are used to hunters being there but the farther that scent is from the road the more concerned deer are...learn all the pulloffs and the human trail system in the forest...forest topo maps will show all these trails/roads...:D:biggrin:
Good advice Sir. Simple and effective. I'm with you about deer seeing and smelling humans. They are o.k. With it as long as the humans are walking on a road or hiking path, etc. it's when we are walking around in their area that they get spooked and flee.

RGJZ06

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hunting hills has always been a challenge for me. I found a video that was called Hill Country Bucks made by Blood Brothers Outdoors that was awesome. Hands down the most hunting information in the real world kind of hunting situtions that most of us face. They changed there name to Nextbuk Outdoors recently and have a website where you can buy it. I bought mine in a Gander Mountian. They go over topo's, airials, go right into the beds of where these bucks are bedding and break down step by step and show you the kill of these bucks they are taking. They also go over alot about thermals and what the wind can do in certain hill country terrain. The best educational hunting video I have ever seen. It has helped me alot and I'm getting more shots at good bucks because of the info. It was kind of eye opening for me watching them use milk weeds and seeing what the winds can do in hill country. They actually just came out with another video called Farm Country bucks which I need to order soon.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
pretty simple during gun season. Join up with a dozen guys who like to put on drives on public areas. One public area has a road running the bottom for a couple miles alongside a creek. There are public dirt gravel roads running up the hills every half mile or so. Take a half dozen guys in the back of a pickup up top and let them walk down hill to the bottom road. These hills are about 300-400 feet verticle from the bottom. the deer are bedded on the hillsides, not at the tops. Yes it works.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts