Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

bowfishing regulations in ohio

31K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Boodiggs 83 
#1 ·
Ohio fishing regulations state the following:

"ARCHERY ANGLERS may use bows of any weight pull. A fishing license is required. Longbows may be used to take bullfrogs, green frogs, snapping and softshell turtles, and forage fish. Crossbows may be used to take forage fish."

My question is the regulations state longbows may be used and crossbows. I grew up with the understanding longbows are most commonly recurve bows. Is it legal to use compound bows for bowfishing in ohio? I would not understand why you could use a crossbow and not a compound but I would like to be clear on the matter before purchasing my first bowfishing setup. also would this mean you can only take turtle with a recurve?

Thanks again everyone.

#2 ·
You can definitely use a compound. I've never heard of not being able too... Far as the turtle question, I would guess you probably can't use a compound for. Just as most states, you can not shoot any game fish. Carp and gar are usually your prey.

Also, for your first bow setup, go somewhat cheap. Get a muzzy arrow and use any brand fiber strung reel that you have to put pressure on to use. There are also some decent spin cast setups out there. I can get you a great link from my home forum on bowfishing and setups, gimme a sec...

Edit: The first post in this thread is a great break down of bow setups. HTH's!

http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=69542

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.