Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not a recipe per say, just what I decided to grill for supper. Kroger had roasts on sale, BOGO free so I got a couple of 2 pounders. Yesterday, I marinated 1 in McCormack’s Brown Sugar & Bourbon mix. I put it in the fridge at about 15:00 hours & turned it over at about 23:00 turning it again at about 08:00 this morning. I turned again at 12:00 & started grilling at 15:15.

A couple of weeks ago, I weedeated my asparagus patch. I have never cut asparagus in late August but some had come back up & will be grilled today. It ain’t pretty or big but it’ll get the job done.

A sweet tator, an Idaho baker, & half an acorn squash with butter & brown sugar were also on the grill.

I put a smoke box filled with apple wood chips over the left burner, preheated the grill to 250, turned off the middle 2 burners to use the indirect method, tossed the roast in the middle of the grill, & the veggies, except the asparagus, on the top rack. I turned the roast every 30 minutes. I maintained the heat at 250 for 11/2 hours until the roast hit a temp of 125 or medium rare. The asparagus went on towards the end of the grilling.

Everything turned out pretty good. The roast was a little chewy so I think the other 1 might be done in the crock pot.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is what happens to a medium rare roast that doesn’t turn out just right.

I decided to cut the remaining roast into strips & make it into jerky. I was surprised that the rest of the roast was relatively tender. I guess that there was a small part that was tough & that’s the part I happened to put on my supper plate last night.

The jerky was OK but not nearly as tasty as my venison jerky.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts