Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Good post...I was surprised to hear they use lefholds to catch them...that should put a lot of claims to rest ...:D

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Super information. My deer camp is in Morgan co. right next to Noble. In the last 8 yrs. I've personally have seen 2 cats while bow hunting. I probably have another 10 on my cameras. ;)

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Super information. My deer camp is in Morgan co. right next to Noble. In the last 8 yrs. I've personally have seen 2 cats while bow hunting. I probably have another 10 on my cameras. ;)
i've only seen a couple bobcats and one crossed the road very close to burr oak lodge enterance...we have seen their tracks while scouting in our wnf hunting area...:biggrin:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Bobcats

I was bowhunting in Noble co. last year and had a bobcat come within 30 yards from me it was so awesome I've never seen one in the wild before. It was pretty cool!!! It didn't even know I was there.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I will post some pictures of cats from Scioto County. I have noticed an increase in trail camera sightings over the last few years. This spring alone I have 2 pictures of bobcats on my property.

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
How do you guy view this? A good thing or a bad thing? Would you shoot one? I for one think it pretty cool. On the other havnd I am a bird hunter and another predator in the woods eating the grouse that are already low in #'s think it's not so "cool"....

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I wonder if it would affect the yote population? Deer? Piggies?

I dont like the effect on birds and bunnies though. The bunnies are already hurting, from yotes and stray fleabag cats. I shoot everyone of both when I can.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HC-
You heard anything about bigger cats and the wolves out there? I know the usual stories, but from the guys I heard it from, it's credible.
A naturalist buddy of mine found a deer up in a tree NE of there. I only know of one thing around that'll do that.
I've also heard from two different people who don't speak about wolves being sited on the north side of 125. I'm also pretty certain I saw a big cat off of fire tower 5.

·
Registered
14 Posts
There was a black bear spotted at Shawnee State golf course either last week of the week before. Several pictures were taken of it as it wondered around, probably looking for water in the extremely hot temperatures.

I know in Scioto Co we have a few black bears, bobcats and tons of yotes. Even seen trail camera pics of some bigger cats.....but never heard of having wild wolves around this area.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There was a black bear spotted at Shawnee State golf course either last week of the week before. Several pictures were taken of it as it wondered around, probably looking for water in the extremely hot temperatures.

I know in Scioto Co we have a few black bears, bobcats and tons of yotes. Even seen trail camera pics of some bigger cats.....but never heard of having wild wolves around this area.
Where are you in Scioto?
I'm in between otway and Bluecreek up off mt. Unger.
The old Shawnee park ranger had pictures of bear that went down bracken ridge gettin in garbage cans. There were also bobcat kits in the campgrounds. I know there's bear and bobcats for sure, but the wolves and big cats I'm not too certain about. I only caught a glimpse of the cat I saw and have only heard stories of the wolves. Reckon anythings possible, but I always ask "what color was the cat?" when they say black, I chalk it up to not eh, seriously doubt it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Where are you in Scioto?
I'm in between otway and Bluecreek up off mt. Unger.
The old Shawnee park ranger had pictures of bear that went down bracken ridge gettin in garbage cans. There were also bobcat kits in the campgrounds. I know there's bear and bobcats for sure, but the wolves and big cats I'm not too certain about. I only caught a glimpse of the cat I saw and have only heard stories of the wolves. Reckon anythings possible, but I always ask "what color was the cat?" when they say black, I chalk it up to not eh, seriously doubt it.

Minford area. I have personally seen 1 black bear cub in the Minford area and I have seen 2 trees in the past 15 years that have been clawed by some cat much bigger than a bobcat.

A buddy of mine had a trail cam pic of a large cat late last summer in the Minford area. It didnt have the short bob tail of a bobcat. It had a long tail and much different facial features, not to mention it was much bigger than a bobcat. I own some very remote land out by South Webster that would be perfect for a large cat or bear to live on. Caves, caverns, etc. But all I see out there are deer, squirrels,***** and plenty of yotes!:yikes:

·
Registered
347 Posts
How do you guy view this? A good thing or a bad thing? Would you shoot one? I for one think it pretty cool. On the other havnd I am a bird hunter and another predator in the woods eating the grouse that are already low in #'s think it's not so "cool"....
Interesting question. I'm a bird hunter too but don't know if bobcats would hurt the grouse population or not. If they eat enough nest robbers like *****, possums and skunks they might actually help the grouse. I don't know that to be the case but its something to consider.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Interesting question. I'm a bird hunter too but don't know if bobcats would hurt the grouse population or not. If they eat enough nest robbers like *****, possums and skunks they might actually help the grouse. I don't know that to be the case but its something to consider.
Maybe, but I wonder how hard they would be on the birds themselves?

·
Registered
347 Posts
There is no doubt they will kill grouse and rob nests, given the chance, but grouse are fast and elusive. Besides that, I believe bobcats have a pretty wide range whereas the nest robbers stick to a smaller area that they hunt thoroughly.
Studies indicate predators like bobcats do more good than harm. Doesn't make the studies right but it is something to consider.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Good. Lord knows we need something to get the smaller predators in check...especially yotes. They are bad in my area.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts