Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guys use a boat to get to that favorite hunting spot away from all the people. Thinking about getting a boat I can use for deer hunting. I had a 13ft Boston Whaler that I never should have sold. Wanting to get something older and that I can pull up along the bank. A canoe is out of the question. I want something I can get me and a friend in with our gear.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I plan on trying it this upcoming season . But my boat is a bit small 10ft jon boat. Maybe if i had a bigger motor i would try it. I will give it a test run a few times while fishing before i try it this hunting season

·
Registered
14 Posts
I,ve used a 16' canoe with good luck. As long as your not on big water they work great. It feels and looks good paddling down river with a deer laying up front. Give it a try.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well we will be on a good size lake so a boat is a must. Wish I would have never sold my 13ft whaler.:coco:

·
Super Moderator
7,882 Posts
I use a canoe. Check around on craigslist for an old used jon boat. That would work great.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
i'm still with the pontoon if youre on a large lake as you are talking about...get the camper version and you can dock it right where you want to hunt and sleep there that night and even have some poles out for catfish...most come with a barbecue on them too...if you want to hunt another area,pull the anchor untie fire up the moter and sail away to another destination...theres even room for several buddies and you can cut deer up on deck and use guts for catfish bait...this is how i always planned on doing it if i ever hunted where theres a big lake...it could be called deer camp pontoon...:biggrin:and you can always tow a canoe if you want pics...

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Coonie, you'd need a bathroom cause yer gettin' old and that bladder ain't what it used to be......:D:whistle:

I use a 17 foot canoe for my hunting needs!

·
Registered
887 Posts
Any of you guys use a boat to get to that favorite hunting spot away from all the people. Thinking about getting a boat I can use for deer hunting. I had a 13ft Boston Whaler that I never should have sold. Wanting to get something older and that I can pull up along the bank. A canoe is out of the question. I want something I can get me and a friend in with our gear.
I never considered this but it's a great idea if your spot is near water. Could be very quiet coming in and leave a minimum of scent.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Exactly we are right along the water we slip in drop off my son then on to my stand. Minimal sent left and super quiet

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Coonie, you'd need a bathroom cause yer gettin' old and that bladder ain't what it used to be......:D:whistle:

I use a 17 foot canoe for my hunting needs!
aw now i've been in this camping business long enough to know most prefer a bathroom and with a shower...especially the younger guys...:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I know of a spot at Salt Fork that my buddy has paddled into the past several years- the back side of a huge ridge along the lake. All the guys hunting this area that come in off the access road just push the deer right to him. He's had great success. He canoe's in. ;)

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I still haven't bought a hunting boat yet. But I have warmed up to the idea of a canoe. Some of the weight capacities are pretty impressive. I am looking at a 15ft with a 750 pound capacity. Some people run trolling motors on the back. The other advantage would be not having to tow a trailer.

·
Super Moderator
7,882 Posts
I use a 12 foot canoe. Super easy to handle by myself. Works great!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have a 10 ft John boat, trolling motor, battery, 4 horse gas motor and other equipment for it I'm wanting to sell it all send me a pm if your interested I will send my phone number and we can discuss the details

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
i'm for the pontoon with a camper on it...just drive it over ...tie it up...sleep on it and hunt from it...doan like the spot...pull out and move your camp to another spot...thats what i'd use...especially on a real big lake!!!:biggrin:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts