Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not even about to claim to be an expert so any opinions or comments are welcomed.

I have a 16' Flat bottom professionally modified into a fishing boat with all accessories I just traded for. It has all the basics a bass boat would come with electronically. (i.e. night light plugs, trolling motor, fish finder, live well, 12V accessory plug in console)

It currently has a 2 battery setup in the back using what I believe are 2 regular car batteries. 1 Battery for the 35HP Outboard and the other for all the electronics.

I'm trying to see if I would be further ahead to keep using that setup and charging batteries or try and get a good dual-purpose Marine battery for everything to be hooked to or ???

Let me know what you think. Thanks in Advance

Jeremy

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I would leave it the way it is as long as you keep those batteries out of water

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I run all my nav lights and gps/sonar off my cranking battery. Its better to use one deep cycle and run everything but spot lights and your troller from it. Deep cycles hold their charge longer, hold crank amps longer. Your outboard will charge it everytime you run. I can explain it a little better, but im on my phone right now. Shoot me a pm, ill send you my number so if you have questions, you can call me anytime. In short - car batts are wrong and youll end up sorry on the water.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
225 Posts
I run all my nav lights and gps/sonar off my cranking battery. Its better to use one deep cycle and run everything but spot lights and your troller from it. Deep cycles hold their charge longer, hold crank amps longer. Your outboard will charge it everytime you run. I can explain it a little better, but im on my phone right now. Shoot me a pm, ill send you my number so if you have questions, you can call me anytime. In short - car batts are wrong and youll end up sorry on the water.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
I agree with JB. Get a good deep cycle and you'll be impressed with how long they will last.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info everyone. I did decide to stick with the 2 battery setup I currently have for now. Took the boat out yesterday and worked great. Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts