Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about this controlled hunt. My husband was interested in us applying for this hunt (I don't know how many apply or how many hunters get chosen?). He thought it would be fun if we got picked because it is a stone's throw from where he grew up on the other side of the Ohio River and we could stay with his folks when we were down there. Anyhow, I was reading the rules and it states that you have to hunt from an elevated stand. Really? I'm sure the terrain is pretty flat and all being an island, but it's flat on my farm too (9 feet elevation gain from one side of the farm to the other, a distance of about 1 mile) and I hunt from the ground. I'm assuming they feel this is a safety issue? Of course tree stands come with their own safety issues. I'm trying to see how I can solve my two problems with hunting from a stand. 1.) I hate being up in a stand. OK I guess that is personal and I can just deal with it if I have to. 2.) I am not physically strong enough to carry in a stand and put it up. OK, maybe I could, but I don't even have a stand that I could carry. We own one stand, a buddy ladder stand. That thing is heavy and a pain to put up. I hate the thought of buying something just for this trip and never using it again.

So I am looking for thoughts, ideas, encouragement or even comments like "this may not be the hunt for you" would be ok. But if there is a solution out there, I would like to hear it.

·
22,520 Posts
Good find-:thumbs_up:

Looks fine to me. I remember Nasa Plumbrook being hunted every 3rd year, years ago, and it was very good. This is not hunted every year as well, and the last hunt was in 2010. It also corresponds with the Rut, which will make it even more appealing!

Maybe Paul will see this and give us some feedback since he lives in WV!

I think I may apply as well!!!:biggrin:

They state the folowing in the information on the hunt-

News Release: July 12, 2012

Facebook: WV Commerce - State Parks

Hoy Murphy, Public Information Officer (304) 957-9365 [email protected]

Matt Baker, Superintendent, Blennerhassett Island Historical State Park, 304-420-4800, [email protected]

Applications Available for Controlled Deer Hunt on Blennerhassett Island November 5 and 8, 2012

PARKERSBURG, W.Va. - A controlled deer hunt will be held on Blennerhassett Island on Monday, November 5 and Thursday, November 8, 2012. The West Virginia Division of Natural Resources (WVDNR) monitors the white-tailed deer population on the island.

"Based upon survey results, a controlled hunt is needed to maintain the deer population at a level which is more in balance with the habitat conditions on the island," said WVDNR Director Frank Jezioro.

Deer on Blennerhassett Island may not be hunted during the regular deer hunting seasons and, as a result, the deer population level gets much higher than on the mainland. Hunting is not permitted on state parks unless under a controlled hunt setting. Controlled hunts have been conducted on Blennerhassett Island in 2001, 2002, 2007 and 2010.

Hunting will be by permit only. Resident and non-resident hunters may apply. Applications and rules for the hunt are available at www.wvdnr.gov under "Hunting" and by clicking on the title "Controlled Hunts." Applications must be submitted by U.S. mail only. Applications also are available at all WVDNR district offices, State Park and Forest offices, WVDNR headquarters in South Charleston, and at Blennerhassett Island Historical State Park (304-420-4800).

Applications for the Blennerhassett Island controlled hunt must be signed, legible, complete, and postmarked by August 30, 2012. Permits will be selected at random for each day of the hunt and successful applicants will be notified after October 1, 2012. All hunting must be done from elevated (minimum of eight feet off the ground) tree stands (ladder, or self-climbing) provided by the hunter. Tree stands must be able to adjust to trees up to 18 inches in diameter. A safety belt is required to be worn while in the tree stand. Only bows, muzzleloaders, and shotguns using slugs with rifled barrels or chokes are allowed (high-powered rifles will not be permitted).

Successful applicants will be ferried from Civitan Park in Belpre, Ohio, to the island on the mornings of the hunt. Approximately 50 hunters for each day will be randomly selected for the hunt. Deer harvested will not count against the hunters' annual bag limit.

http://www.wvdnr.gov/2012news/12news146.shtm

·
22,520 Posts
. Anyhow, I was reading the rules and it states that you have to hunt from an elevated stand. Really? I'm sure the terrain is pretty flat and all being an island, but it's flat on my farm too (9 feet elevation gain from one side of the farm to the other, a distance of about 1 mile) and I hunt from the ground. I'm assuming they feel this is a safety issue? Of course tree stands come with their own safety issues. I'm trying to see how I can solve my two problems with hunting from a stand. 1.) I hate being up in a stand. OK I guess that is personal and I can just deal with it if I have to. 2.) I am not physically strong enough to carry in a stand and put it up. OK, maybe I could, but I don't even have a stand that I could carry. We own one stand, a buddy ladder stand. That thing is heavy and a pain to put up. I hate the thought of buying something just for this trip and never using it again.

So I am looking for thoughts, ideas, encouragement or even comments like "this may not be the hunt for you" would be ok. But if there is a solution out there, I would like to hear it.
Bluedog- Try summit or lone worlf. I have had a summit backpacker for over 10 years and love it- It weighs around 20 lbs and you should be able to carry that in. The viper and a few others weigh about the same. Lone wolf also makes one that a friend likes and it's around 21 lbs- but they are pricey. Both companies are very reliable. Also make sure you get a safety belt and there are a few good companies out there for those as well.

In either case they are both climbers, and you can have the hubby help you to your spot and your all set. You also can go to a fixed stand, and use the climbing sticks and they work well also.

For a new adventure, you many want to read up on those options- visit a store that carries them, and look them over. I wouldn't rule out the hunt because you need to be in the stand. A new adventure may be waiting- and as we all know we only live once!;)

http://www.lonewolfhuntingproducts.com/

http://www.summitstands.com/climbing-treestands

Safety harnesses by muddy outdoors and safety systems have done well for us in the past.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/brow...id=20&pcrid=378818189&sadid=44000000015054823

·
5,040 Posts
Another option is a 10 ft ladder stand, easy to carry and set up. I think they get you to a stand site and then pick you up. I've got a friend down there that's familiar with the hunt, I'll give him a call.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My thoughts of why elevated. I would think it's just because of the #of people. Where on private land you would tend to be a little more spread out. With this hunt it's about reducing the numbers so you will have several more people covering the same amount of area. If everyone is shooting towards the ground should be safer more likely to stick in the mud! Where as if your shooting parallel it would have better chance to ricochet (sp?) if that where say a 50yd ric. on a 25yd shot!! Plus if on ground some will peoplewill move every 5 min. and don't know bout you but if the guy beside me kept moving it would drive me nuts. I can't stand being too close to somebody else, will on occasion but prefer that i have noone within sight of me. If it's like rest of WV it will be loaded with deer. prolly why they have the hunt... huh:yikes::yikes:!! And you could prolly borrow a stand from someone. Plus a day in the tree is always a pretty good one as far as i'm concerned.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another option is a 10 ft ladder stand, easy to carry and set up. I think they get you to a stand site and then pick you up. I've got a friend down there that's familiar with the hunt, I'll give him a call.
That would be great. If they drive you most of the way it would be helpful. Want to go the cheapest route possible because I'll most likely not use the stand again. I actually already have a body harness. Of course I haven't even applied or been drawn. Perhaps that is the first step and worry about the rest later.

Of course there is also the napping issue. Big no no in a stand but I am the queen of napping when on the ground. :)

Sent from my SCH-I405

1 - 7 of 7 Posts