Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
22,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone try this powder yet?:confused:

I'm buying 2 canisters today, and going to try it out this summer. I have read good reviews on this fairly new product(2008) and it's a very clean muzzleloader powder leaving virtually no residue and accuracy is good.

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
yep - been using it for the last several years in my pro hunter - good accuracy - a li'll residue but it cleans up easily with powder solvent - residue does not draw moisture - good luck wif it - dang :whistle::mischeif:

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I use it in my Knight inlines. It burns very clean and I've shot 12 rounds, one after the other without running a patch through the barrel. It impacted the target at 100 yards very consistenty. I had to dry fire a cap between each shot to keep the small flame hole, (breech plug) in the Knight clean. If I didn't dry fire a 209 primer between shots, it would not light off every time.

My son has a Traditions inline and it fires the Blackhorn without a problem.

RGJZ06

·
Administrator
5,398 Posts
Wish I could use it in my old BuckHorn CVA

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I use it in my cva optima elite.. it does good at 100 yds and cleans up well.. still tryin to find the right bullet and sabot to shoot consistent around 200yds

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
14,763 Posts
I've been considering it as well 56. Let me know how it works for ya.
I got a CVA wolf .50cal. I've been using pyrodex.

Is there less smoke with the Blackhorn 209?

·
22,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not sure 45, maybe Geezer or someone who has used it can tell us. From what I have read so far and heard thru "the grapevine" is that you can shoot 1-2 dozen times whithout having to clean the bore and the accuracy results are better than most other powders.

According to the label it is meant for modern muzzleloaders using a 209 shotgun primer, hence its name. One thing I found out right off, is its low density as the kernels are hollow. It comes in a conventional 1 pound can but contains only 10 ounces of powder. You could say it is the black powder equivalent of Trail Boss. The powder is black and looks like an extruded powder such as 4895. However the kernels are hollow which makes it less dense.

I called around and the Fin has it for $32.95 abd Cabelas has it for $31.99. I caled one of our FFL suppliers and they have it for $29.00, but I have to pay the $25.00 hazardous material shipping charge, and that applies to Cabelas too, so it looks like the Fin is going to get my business tomorrow. I ran behind today, so I'll get some this weekend.

I am real curious how this powder will shoot, and especially at the 200 yard mark. I am hopeing my Encore likes it. I may try my Knight and see how it shoots with it as well.

·
5,040 Posts
If it's less dense, does it use the same volume measure, or do you have to up that?

·
22,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is some load data on their website I found a while ago while reading up on it-

http://www.blackhorn209.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/b209muzzleloaderdata.pdf

...and the Primer is important as well-I'm a Federal type of guy, so I am going to use Federal primers when I try it this summer.

"Blackhorn 209 is designed to work with standard 209 shotshell primers. For the best results, we recommend the following brands:
•CCI 209M
•Federal 209A

We DO NOT recommend any of the 209 primers designated for muzzleloaders (Winchester Triple 7, CCI MZL, Federal Fusion, or Remington Kleanbore). These primers are all weaker than standard shotshell 209 primers and do not provide adequate ignition for Blackhorn 209 - especially when used in a poorly designed breech plug system. We also DO NOT recommend #11 percussion caps, musket caps, high-powered rifle or pistol primers.

THE IMPORTANCE OF PRIMER FIT

The looser the primer fit the more blow back you can expect and the less likely you are to transmit sufficient gas and flame to the powder. Observe the condition of your primers after firing. If they are largely black, you are getting excessive blow back. Below is an example of same brand primer fired in two different muzzleloaders.

If your primer looks like the one on the right, call your gun manufacturer.

Not only does this result in a large loss of energy in the wrong direction, the escaping gasses leave excessive fouling in the breech area. These gasses can also exit the gun, cause damage your scope and is not considered safe. Safety glasses should always be worn when shooting a firearm."

http://www.blackhorn209.com/specs/primers/

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
Here is some load data on their website I found a while ago while reading up on it-

http://www.blackhorn209.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/b209muzzleloaderdata.pdf

...and the Primer is important as well-I'm a Federal type of guy, so I am going to use Federal primers when I try it this summer.

"Blackhorn 209 is designed to work with standard 209 shotshell primers. For the best results, we recommend the following brands:
•CCI 209M
•Federal 209A

We DO NOT recommend any of the 209 primers designated for muzzleloaders (Winchester Triple 7, CCI MZL, Federal Fusion, or Remington Kleanbore). These primers are all weaker than standard shotshell 209 primers and do not provide adequate ignition for Blackhorn 209 - especially when used in a poorly designed breech plug system. We also DO NOT recommend #11 percussion caps, musket caps, high-powered rifle or pistol primers.

THE IMPORTANCE OF PRIMER FIT

The looser the primer fit the more blow back you can expect and the less likely you are to transmit sufficient gas and flame to the powder. Observe the condition of your primers after firing. If they are largely black, you are getting excessive blow back. Below is an example of same brand primer fired in two different muzzleloaders.

If your primer looks like the one on the right, call your gun manufacturer.

Not only does this result in a large loss of energy in the wrong direction, the escaping gasses leave excessive fouling in the breech area. These gasses can also exit the gun, cause damage your scope and is not considered safe. Safety glasses should always be worn when shooting a firearm."

http://www.blackhorn209.com/specs/primers/
Yep its all on their web site - guess ya missed muh post - dang :whistle::mischeif::whistle:

·
22,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep- note the time I posted that- I was still waiting to get my 2nd cup of coffee.:whistle:

Now- what I would like to know, is for those that have used it-what combinations of powder loads and "projectiles" have grouped the best at 100 or even 200 yards?:confused:

Or- don't ya all shoot that far?:p:biggrin:

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
Yep- note the time I posted that- I was still waiting to get my 2nd cup of coffee.:whistle:

Now- what I would like to know, is for those that have used it-what combinations of powder loads and "projectiles" have grouped the best at 100 or even 200 yards?:confused:

Or- don't ya all shoot that far?:p:biggrin:
.50 cal 250 grain superglides over 100 grains by volume of 209 wif Win 209 shotgun primer -

Keyhole groups at 100 yards - yep never shot muh musket farther then 100 yards no need too - dang - i live a sheltered life -

·
22,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
.50 cal 250 grain superglides over 100 grains by volume of 209 wif Win 209 shotgun primer -

Keyhole groups at 100 yards - yep never shot muh musket farther then 100 yards no need too - dang - i live a sheltered life -
Any problem with the Winchester Primer? I have read that there were some, but 1st hand experience tells me a little more. I don't have the superglides, so when I start, I'll give them a few tries.

I'm trying to get a little more "distance" this year, since I'll be in Kansas in September for their muzzleloader opener. It's more open prairie and has a tendency to have longer shot opportunities. Over the next few months, I will be posting the shooting "results" of what I come across and learn. Going out today to get the Powder and whatever else new I can find for this experiment and hopeing to get out the next few weeks to start trying all the different combinations and see what works best.

Any other good load combinations anyone has or any input on this-post them up.

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
Well i haven't had any problems with the Win 209 primers - these are the regular shotgun primers not the musket primers - i am shooting a Thompson pro hunter - i haven't experimented very much with this rifle but did with a Thompson Blackdiamond - and settled on the load uhm using - tried all the musket propellents and some other slugs. I keep muh stuff real clean and clean the breech plug real good - have an extra breech plug in my kit but never had ta use it - uhm pretty satisfied with my set up so the wheel ain't broken fo muh - dang - be interested in the results ya get - good shoot'n & hunt'n - dang :whistle::mischeif:

·
7,173 Posts
Regular Win 209 shotgun primers is what I use also. 110 gr by volume BH209 and a 250 gr SST.

The T/C breech plug has a part of the flash hole called the "flash channel". It's about .010" diameter and almost the length of the plug. It needs to be kept CLEAN. Residue will build up there, it's tough stuff, I use a drill bit to clean the flash channel. Not entirely sure if it is residue from the primer or powder but I believe primer.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Well I shoot a new cva wolf with the finger release breech plug I haven't had any problems with win 209's. And I shoot pyrodex pellets and 245gr hollow point powerbelts I don't shoot powder cause in my opinion it just takes to long to fumble with heck just drop 3 pellets in there. I'm ganna try the new white hots pellets soon

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
Regular Win 209 shotgun primers is what I use also. 110 gr by volume BH209 and a 250 gr SST.

The T/C breech plug has a part of the flash hole called the "flash channel". It's about .010" diameter and almost the length of the plug. It needs to be kept CLEAN. Residue will build up there, it's tough stuff, I use a drill bit to clean the flash channel. Not entirely sure if it is residue from the primer or powder but I believe primer.
Yep - i got two different size drills ta clean the breech plug - got xtra 0-rings in muh kit also but never had ta change them out - dang :whistle::mischeif:

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I would like to try some in my Rem 700 ML. It has the standard cap nipple in it. I do have the musket cap nipple for it. Do you think that will ignite 209 reliably? All I use in mine is GOEX 2F, always fires. I have a couple bottles of 777 I never tried. Comments from experience?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts