close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Featured black phase coyote

Discussion in 'Ohio Trapping and Varmint Hunting' started by mrex, Jan 17, 2018.

1. mrex

mrex Staff Member Super Mod Mod Premium Member

[​IMG]

In 30 years of coyote hunting, I've had 2 encounters with melanistic "black phase" coyotes, and both were on the same farm...10 years apart. I could see a pair approaching this afternoon from about 300 yards out. The lead dog looked black as the ace of spades on this snow.

2. Congrats !!! What was your caliber of choice for this evenings predator eradication ??

Buck Buster likes this.

3. Congrats!! I’ve only seen one my entire hunting career...about 20 years ago in upstate NY. Came walking through a cedar swamp. Looked like a black wolf. A regular colored coyote walked to within five yards of me and almost turned himself inside out while trying to flee. Unfortunately, he spooked the black one.

Buck Buster likes this.
  4. mrex

Bryan six and Buck Buster like this.
  5. This guy looks to have a bad case of the mange. Did the other black phase have the mange?

6. mrex

Actually, his coat is perfect...except for the bullet hole...full prime. I didn't brush all the snow off of him which may look distorted on your display. The other black I encountered while hunting never presented a shot.

Bryan six and Buck Buster like this.
  7. Bryan six

Bryan six Staff Member Mod

Congrats on the beautiful dog Mike, tell me he is getting the full body mount??

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  8. mrex

No...but he is getting barrel caped and tanned.

bilman63 and Bryan six like this.
  9. I seen a black outside of Athens on Coolville Ridge a few yrs ago deer hunting to far away to kill tho

Bryan six likes this.
  10. I have trapped two reds but never a black. I would have that hide tanned for sure. Wonderful looking coyote, congrats.

11. mrex

We've taken a few red phase as well.

[​IMG]

The first red coyote I killed over 20 years ago came in to a series of hen yelps in early May.

Randall, bilman63, Kyle13 and 3 others like this.
  12. Schu72

Schu72 Staff Member Super Mod Mod

That red is sweet! I've seen a couple of black in Belmont county, never seen a red.

Bryan six likes this.
  13. I shot a black coyote in March of 2015 in Marion County SC while hog hunting. It had been an uneventful morning so I decided to try a piglet distress on my FoxPro to maybe stir something up. About 5min in I see something black coming through the swamp thicket and I immediately thought "hog" but then this coyote came into an opening and stopped. I let him have a 70gr Barnes TSX HP out of my 16" AR15 carbine.

Attached Files:

Buck Buster, Wildlife and Sgt Fury like this.
  14. mrex

Had a good hunt yesterday afternoon. Called up 6 in 2 sits. Operator error on the first but redeemed myself on the second.

[​IMG]

Love hunting them in the snow.

Randall, R. Toker, bluedog and 5 others like this.
  15. Bawana

Bawana Staff Member Mod

What types of calls or caller are you using?

16. mrex

Foxpro Shockwave. Howling and various coyote vocalizations at first and last light. Distress sounds in between.

17. I'm heading out this evening Mike. Calling a couple local farms.

18. Sounds like u guys have a major yote problem down there with that success rate of calling them in.......not saying method is spot on but if ur getting hits on multiple locations a majority of the time u r either the best caller in in US or to many dogs.....Either way NICE!!!!!!

Buck Buster likes this.