Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Use buck forage oats and let me know!! LOL never used them but I did plant evolved harvest throw N grow and one with radishes plus the same trifold rye grass and brassica and clover

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
195 Posts
If your on Facebook check out food plots and whitetail deer hunting dude knows his stuff and will answer your questions

·
Registered
188 Posts
Turkeybuster,how did the evolved harvest throw and grow work out? I threw some out this morning.Forcast said 70% chance rain.Wrong again.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Turkeybuster,how did the evolved harvest throw and grow work out? I threw some out this morning.Forcast said 70% chance rain.Wrong again.
It's coming up and I just planted it two weeks ago Saturday. And ya I planted mine with minimal rain if ya can water it

·
Registered
665 Posts
Planted the Green Patch Plus 2 years ago and the deer loved it. I want to plant that agian this year.

·
Banned
955 Posts
buck forage oats - $45 a bag

Feed oats- $11 a bag

Enough said............. I have been planting feed oats with my rye mix now for years and they hammer it. No way I would pay 4x for name brand oats.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Why would anyone pay for Buck Forage Oats when they aren't any different than the oats I feed my horse and plant in my fall food plots every year. The deer and the horse seem to like them both equally fine too!

·
Registered
347 Posts
I've hunted deer all my life but have never put out a real food plot. Something I've noticed is that some of the plot mixes are annuals but recommend planting this time of year. Will a mix planted this time of year actually be productive this season?

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Planted two weeks ago and they r enjoying it now

It needs to come up more but well see with this drought I'm watering it but never know

·
Banned
955 Posts
I've hunted deer all my life but have never put out a real food plot. Something I've noticed is that some of the plot mixes are annuals but recommend planting this time of year. Will a mix planted this time of year actually be productive this season?
Your grains like oats and rye and even wheat are fast growers. People typically plant these anywhere from early august to Labor day.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Thanks for that information. Looks like I'm due for a stop at the feed store.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I plant cereal grains from Labor day through Sept 15, you don't want to plant them too soon or they will get too tall, not as tender. The deer like tender plants better. Heck the farmer don't plant wheat until the end of Sept begining of Oct.

·
Banned
955 Posts
I plant cereal grains from Labor day through Sept 15, you don't want to plant them too soon or they will get too tall, not as tender. The deer like tender plants better. Heck the farmer don't plant wheat until the end of Sept begining of Oct.
I have all my grains put in the ground by mid -August before I start back to work. I've never had a problem with my grains getting too tall. The deer will eat them up to 8-10" tall. Once they hit that 12" point they start to turn away. The tallest I have ever seen them is 6-8" and I rarely plant much past August 15. My plots are on the smaller side (3/4 acre or less) and all tucked against cover. Between the size of my plots and the high deer density around me I have no worries.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Evolved Harvest seem to out produce, Biologic and oats in the fall, but its hard to beat wheat, its easy to grow, cheap, and they love it!!!

·
Banned
955 Posts
Evolved Harvest seem to out produce, Biologic and oats in the fall, but its hard to beat wheat, its easy to grow, cheap, and they love it!!!
Would much rather use winter rye than wheat. Not only do the deer love it, but it does more for the soil.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts