Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

Binoculars

3K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  LabMan 
#1 ·
Looking for a decent pair for around 50 dollars anybody have any recommendations? Been looking at bushnell

#2 ·
last season I carried a mononocular, it was the first time I have ever used one. it was a bit shakey compared to binos but don't count them out, they lighten your load and I felt like it did the job. I think i got a tasco 3-10 power. just a heads up if you don't like lugging crap into the field.

#4 ·
I'd say this will be like a scope debate. If I can tell if it's a buck I'd like to shoot at a half mile that's good enough for me but not for some. Go to a sporting store and try them out b4 u buy a cheap one off the shelf. You may want to save some more money after doing so...

#9 ·
I have a pair of cabelas intensity 10X42 binos. They're $200. Never realized how much I'd use them til I got em. They are a must for shed hunting and hitting the woods. Spend the extra money and get some good ones that will last a lifetime. It's a huge step up in quality when you get into the $150-$200 range.

#11 ·
Through real life experience I learned to buy a good pair. Yes they were in the higher price range but I wouldn't trade my Nikons for anything and it was well worth the price tag. You get what you pay for. Last year in Wyoming I saw the benefit for a good pair after trying to see antelope at long range......I bought the Nikons no questions asked. Just like I have a Nikon costly scope on my rifle......if You can't see em you can't kill em.

#13 ·
If you could step up to the Vortex diamondbacks it would be the way to go IMHO . Vortex stands behind their product . Even if you drop them and they break they will replace them . Bushnell has never been known to stand behind their product . I stand behind what I said about the Crossfire Binos , at low light they go to crap . But that is the way it is with glass . You get what you pay for and the Crossfire is their cheapest line . I am not a bushnell fan . Some of their high end stuff is good . But they make a lot of real junk . Vortex , Leupold , Nikon will serve you much better .

#14 ·
Spend the money and get some vortex diamond back binoculars they are lower end but in Ohio they are more than enough. I have about a 4-5 year old pair that are 8x50 and they are great I took them out west and was spotting deer over a mile away. Grant it they were not comparable to the pair my buddy had which are the vortex viper hds and run $1000. The diamond backs can be picked up between 150-250 depending on the sale. Check out optics planet they have good prices typically.

#17 ·
I've used the "cheapies" in the past. I needed something that was light and portable. Problem with the cheap ones are when you really need to see something, they will let you down! Fog, focus, to dark, to far.... I never go turkey hunting without bino's. It has made my deer hunting more enjoyable and I find myself using them for a lot of things I used to do without bino's. (Scouting, or just looking at something that I've found interesting out the truck window) Save up and get something decent. I have the Vortex also, ($250.00)

#19 ·
A good investment. She must really love you very much. I believe you're really going to like them once you get out in the field with them, especially in low light situations. Best of luck to you this season![/QUOTE]
Yes she is a good one. I have the same as you Wildlife, Nikon Archers Choice ranger finder and now a new set of Nikon Binos.

#20 ·
I don't Bushnell anything anymore...keep looking...you'll find something decent..but I don't hunt without them...whole world out there the eye just doesn't see and sense I know it it's like going blind without them.

Typical cheap bino's are almost like going blind...anything not on a warm sunny day causes some problem that leaves the view so obscured they aren't worth squat.

#21 ·
As I sit here in my ground blind looking through my Nikon Trailblazer bino's, I would highly recommend them. I believe they are 8x but very compact and great to wear on a chest strap when bowhunting. I think they are around $120 and worth every dime.
Also, Nikon truly does stand by their lifetime guarantee. I have sent 2 pairs of my larger Nikon 10x back and they were replaced with brand new ones!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.