1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
752 Posts
They tried this a few years ago but it didn't get off the ground. Hopefully it takes flight this time and gets spread out over the entire state.

·
5,063 Posts
Reading through some of the rules........

OLHAP Permit does not authorize:

• Hunting deer with a firearm during any of Ohio’s deer-gun seasons (archery deer hunting during Ohio’s deer-gun seasons is permitted).

A program like this was set up by the ODNR several years ago with no money involved and there were thousands of hunters who signed up for it and almost zero farmers who participated.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hope it takes off and offsets some of the deer leasing. In some of the pheasant hunting states, this type of program works well. In Ohio, we have small numbers of deer hunters leasing huge chunks of land causing significant access problems.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
As Beagle noted, these type and related programs have exploded, pretty much, west of the big river and for species beyond just pheasant.
Help arrives for the farmer, the hunter and, often, for a species.
But, it requires a large cooperative land base and knowledgable wildlife folks....with a helping hand by absentee land owners helping too.
Having a viable potential income stream other than deer is required as well.

Ohio, comparably, has none of those factors.
Plus, that program does not allow for the same level of game ownership imaginings or manipulation of a resource by food and more and which are oh, so popular with shooters and hunters.
The Texas Leasing Model under which Ohio has fundamentally changed will always be more popular than sharing in a Public manner....just the way competition and "got mine" rolls.

While I suspect some farms with CRP or woodlands might enroll, the pressure placed by hunters could soon overwhelm that particular postage stamp when considering the population centers a truthfully short distance in any direction...and critters more sensitive than deer...or turkey.
Nice that folks are thinking wider than is popular tho but Ohio needs to boost the ingredient volume for that stew to ever break a simmer.
Otherwise, it is a sound good to the Public and, especially, to keep up with other DNRs program on a small footing...exactly like the controlled burns that get promoted as earth-shaking rather than accurately as too small and too late.

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
What is the incentive to a landowner to join this program rather than just out right leasing?

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Aside from viewing the payment as an incentive, I suspect the DNR would consider the program an opportunity for the landowner to manage critters that are using the property....if the landowner could not do it on their own hook.
Principally deer, in all likelihood, but perhaps groundhogs, raccoons or fill-in-the-local-blank.
Maybe, an incentive could be a smile noticed on a young boy or girl's face which would otherwise be absent.
For other reasons, one might ask the ODNR....I miss a lot.

If the landowner is considering Leasing then, hopefully, the landowner considers the nature of Leasing which limits opportunity to a comparative few with a billfold and hopefully X2 the landowner considers the part Leasing plays in changing the face of hunting fields....especially as one drives along the Superslab on an autumn day ie the reduction of orange in those fields....not to mention fewer teenage brown lumps near a nut tree on old man Fluharty's place.
Change is unstoppable but it is a shame when change is driven by competition and "I got mine".

I reckon a big incentive for landowners may be found in the wisdom of a far look and also in avoiding trailing behind the presently popular bell sheep which limits opportunity.
I considered the program but since folks already hunt here w/o Leasing....then no need to deal with a DNR which writes off species by the difficulty of their management or the reality of their needs.

The one large downside for landowners would be the respect some hunters or shooters refuse to show to the property of the landowner...which is totally understandable when such an action has a landowner looking for a better filter and a true shame found on the other side of the equation.

Reactions: catchdog

·
5,063 Posts
Reading into a little more of the program,
Permits will be issued no sooner than 12:01 AM the date of usage
Payment will be $2 for ag ground $30 for woodlands and "good" habitat.
Can not be used for any deer firearms season
No explanation as to how many permits will be issued daily.

One last comment.... They hope to enroll 20,000 acres in the program
if it's all good ground at $30/acre that would be $600,000. They are receiving $1,831.500, Where is the other 1,200,000 going? administration can't cost that much.
It would be nice if someone from the division of wildlife would be allowed to post on here and answer our questions.................

Reactions: ya13ya03
1 - 11 of 11 Posts