Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who consistently put big deer in the dirt (140+")....what have been a few things that have allowed you to achieve this consistency / take your game to the next level?

Has it been radical scent control? Patience? More time in the woods? Trail cameras?

Just curious to hear what some of you have to say.

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
A lot of LUCK!!!!!!

Lot of time in the woods during the season and during the off season..

Stand placement..

Little movement in the stand.

I don't buy the scent thing to much that is where stand placement come in.. I don't hunt smelling like gas or taco bell. I do use a tot for my cloths, I also use cover or scent kill stuff. One more thing is fresh doe and buck pee..

Corn piles is something I don't use other than to get some pic's..

·
Registered
502 Posts
140's

Let em grow!

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
being in the woods a lot...some of the best huntersfishermen i know never had a job...and lived in deer country...:D

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Goshengrunter, Thats just to funny but I have heard of that happening. When it comes to big bucks some people would sell there mother for the giant.. It is kind of sad... LOL

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I dont get it....i love to hunt but id quit before I let it ruin a friendship

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
I agree I have heard of some good hunters down in Athens getting followed too, unreal how pathetic ppl can be.

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
I find that some people just go nut's for the monster rack weather it is the for the wall to get there name out.. It is kind of like how some people are about money.. Again it is sad... I know of people that trespass because the big one is there. It is just rediculous.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
I agree I have heard of some good hunters down in Athens getting followed too, unreal how pathetic ppl can be.

ha back in the 80s 90s i had that problem for awhile after clobbering 3 respectable wnf deer...ha their mistake...i heard one yell screw this after about 3 miles into the woods...:D
today i have the same problem but complete different reason...a lot think where i/we hunt is the cats meow and hone in on it...thats ok i care less but the real skinny is its prolly not the best area to hunt on the wnf...i dont even think its the best wnf district...and shawnee prolly beats it to pcs.with less people and more deer...in fact thanks to my advertising my area has more pressure than most other areas...i only hunt there for one reason...i was born there and hunted there all my life,i know lots of it like a know my lil city lot here in reynoldsburg...its amazing how many people i run into in the woods and say to me...you must be coonskinner...:D...the good thang is that where we hunt its very big and accomodating...when i run into someone many will ask if theyre interferring with our hunters and i give them an idea of where we're at...a few other groups(camps)have popped up...but most have staked out their areas...we respect it and they respect ours...they soon learn its to all our benefit...theyre killing nice deer in their areas too...they understand now that my advice on its all good is true...some stop in our camp or bring their big boys by...we're as happy for them as if they were in our camp...last yr. i know of four camps within a mile or two of us...all killed at least one p&yer...pa.camp/mich.camp and a tenn.camp...the tenn.camp has been there as long as ours...and they always get some nice bucks...and are but a mile from us...we never see each other in the woods...bout the only time we see them is when theyre on the roads...but again...the wnf or any hunting in the southern half of ohio is good...private and public...very equal when it comes to hunting deer in a natural setting...doe are plentiful...bucks up to 150 are realistic if you let smaller ones pass...good luck and enjoy your time in southern ohio...deer country...youre all welcome...:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
All the Stuff they said but obviously the most important is spending time in an area that contains a 140 class Buck. Thats were Trail Cams are the single most important tool IMO. Find an area were two 140 class Bucks core areas come together and you just doubled your odds. Hunt hard , scout hard , but most of all Hunt smart.

These guys who "consistently" harvest 140+ Bucks are hunting on grounds that have several Mature bucks livin and cruisin. A nice population of Does can make a world of difference also. They will pull Bucks from a mile or two away.

Good Luck!

·
Ohio Sportsman
1,991 Posts
There are no guarantees to consistently putting 140"+ deer on your wall. However, there are many factors that play a major role in increasing the odds to your favor over the Big Boys. From my experiences, successes and failures, these factors are;
[/COLOR]
1. The amount of time spent in the deer domain. We've all heard the old adage, "you can't kill a deer sitting on the couch". The more time you can put in on stand, the greater your odds increase. Sacrifices are made (family, friends, work) by the ones consistently harvesting Big Boys. For instance, 2009 I had 105 days afield deer hunting. Granted, alot of these days were 1-2 hour hunts, but I was on stand.
Have a ground blind set up somewhere for rainy weather..........just Hunt!

2. Scent control is key to consistently putting Big Boys on the wall. Whether you use many of the scent eliminating products on the market or hunt the wind, it is a must to be as foreign odor free as possible. And when the wind doesn't suit your situation..........just Hunt!

3. Deer attraction methods...Scent bombs, Deer calls and Decoying all play an important role in coaxing the weary Big Boy in for a shot. Opportunities for shots or close sightings on bucks of this caliber, from my experiences, only occur from 0 to 2 or 3 times all year. Knowing when and how to use these attraction methods can
help increase your odds as well. Else..........just Hunt!

4. Hunting known Big Boy habitat is important also. Spending many hours on stand where there have been minimal sightings or low history harvests of Big Boys is wasting precious time. These places are hard to find...if not already occupied.
If you don't have a hot spot, you never know when a Big Boy will trot by..........just Hunt!

5. Knowing when "the moment of truth" is...and controlling your emotions. This comes with experience and many harvests under your belt. "Reading" the Big Boy is key to knowing when to take the shot, or to make a call, or to be quiet.

6. LUCK? IMO, you make most of it! .........just Hunt!

7. Enjoy what you love........just Hunt!! ;)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks

Guys, thanks for the good feedback. I have been bowhunting for two years now and killed my first P&Y last year. I appreciate just being out there, but like anything I'd like to take it to the next level.;)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Follow-up question--- how many of you are heading into the fall targeting a specific buck or maybe two? and if so, how does this change the overall strategy? and...does this strategy change after the first few weeks of the season and deer likely realize hunters have moved into the woods?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts