Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is in your opinion the best turkey choke ? Does anyone know anyone who has done a pattern comparison ? Thanks

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Best turkey choke? Depends on your gun and turkey load. A number of pattern comparisons have been done, along with different turkey loads.

You can check the archives on the NWTF conversation forums under "Shotguns and Shotgunning." You don't have to register to view the forums.

Other turkey hunting discussion forums have similar info.

What make of gun did you have in mind?

·
5,040 Posts
Which ever one patterns best out of your gun!
There are so many options and opinions on this it can make you crazy!
First of all what type gun will you be using? Secondly what type ammo do you intend on using?
As a general rule the smaller the shot size, the tighter the constriction on the choke. You can go from a standard full choke at about.700 constriction down to some of the "super fulls" at about .650 constriction. You also have to consider if you will shoot lead or one of the "heavier than lead" loads.
As a general rule of thumb, at whatever distance you shoot, you should have a minimum of 100 pellets in a 10 inch circle. Most guys strive for closer to two hundred. Most also consider 40 yards as the standard range to compare everything to. However you should take a shot at 15-20 yards just to see how tight you pattern is at close range
I use the 12 ga. 3 1/2 Federal Heavyweight load in #7 shot with a trulock .650 choke tube. Prior to the trulock I used a Carlson's .660 tube. Here are a few patterning picks with it.

DSCN1770.jpg

DSCN1772.jpg

DSCN1773.jpg

Lastly, I bought a Caldwell's lead sled, makes sighting in those 3 1/2's a whole lot more tolerable:thumbs_up:

Attachments

·
Banned
955 Posts
nice patterns! Those federal HW 7's are a gobblers worst nightmare. Probably the best load on the market. I would also put the H-13's 7's up there as well. The only thing I don't like about the HW 7's is due to their weight you don't have the shot count as the H-13 7's. The H-13 7's in a 2oz load have over 500 pellets. I guess you can't have both. I shoot the feds in my 20 and the H-13 7's in my 12ga....both out of a truglo SSX

IMO, for the money....you can't beat the SSX for $30. I have yet to see a bad pattern from this choke while using HTL loads.

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
I use a Mossberg 9200 with an Undertaker choke shooting 2 3/4" Winchester High Vel. Magnums. I have a good pattern out to 40 yards. I normally don't shoot pass 35 yards.

·
Registered
143 Posts
What is in your opinion the best turkey choke ? Does anyone know anyone who has done a pattern comparison ? Thanks
OKAY EVERY GUN HAS A BORE it is different for each type of gun like standerd is .730 benellis are .732 ..some are overbored to .742 every choke is different you can put the same choke say its constriction is .660 it will preform different in all 3 types of guns ..so to ask anybody whats the best choke you really have to try them out .and find what is best for you ... and then you have ported and non ported ..i go with non ported 3/4 extened choke..the way i see it is 9 out of 10 times your only shooting one shot at a time so why not make it the best you can ..now with a ported choke is best for duck and goose hunting.. i use non ported chokes because with a ported choke lots of your gasses are lost at the end of your gun and not pushing you load down range to your target .. and your ammo makes a big differents it really a long prosses to get a great turkey gun you need to ask a gun smith to help you out

my 870 12 ga is great with a extera full and federal premium high velocity turkey 3.5 in loads at 1300 fps shot size 5 2 oz

my 887 12 ga is great with a super full and federal premium magum turkey loads 3.5 in at 1150 fps shot size 6 copper plated 2 1/4 oz

my 870 20 ga is great with a full and winchester double x 3 in high velocity turkey load 1200 fps 1 5/16 shot size 5

you just have to play with them till you find what makes you happy :biggrin:

·
Banned
955 Posts
If you go by the 100 hit rule inside a 10" circle at a measured 40 yards I would go out on a limb to say there are bunch of guys hunting turkeys with a non-effective pattern.....especially those shooting lead.

If you have never shot any of the HTL loads like hevi shot or federal HW you really should give them a try. They put up MUCH better patterns than lead. Sure they are expensive, but how many are you going to shoot in a year? Great example.......

Benelli M1 12ga SSX choke winchester HV 6's- 120 inside 10" circle (just barely effective)

Benelli M1 12ga SSX choke hevi-13 7's- 280-300 inside a 10" circle (that's almost 2.5x more shot on paper at 40 yards than the lead)

JMO, but for those of you who shoot #4's you're really going to struggle to get anywhere near 100 pellets inside a 10" circle at 40 yards. Even 5's I would say would be a struggle.

·
Registered
143 Posts
If you go by the 100 hit rule inside a 10" circle at a measured 40 yards I would go out on a limb to say there are bunch of guys hunting turkeys with a non-effective pattern.....especially those shooting lead.

If you have never shot any of the HTL loads like hevi shot or federal HW you really should give them a try. They put up MUCH better patterns than lead. Sure they are expensive, but how many are you going to shoot in a year? Great example.......

Benelli M1 12ga SSX choke winchester HV 6's- 120 inside 10" circle (just barely effective)

Benelli M1 12ga SSX choke hevi-13 7's- 280-300 inside a 10" circle (that's almost 2.5x more shot on paper at 40 yards than the lead)

JMO, but for those of you who shoot #4's you're really going to struggle to get anywhere near 100 pellets inside a 10" circle at 40 yards. Even 5's I would say would be a struggle.
truth be told you only need that one golden bb to hit its mark :yikes:

·
Registered
2,502 Posts

I haven't had any birds complain about the 1 3/4 oz of 5's that I have been using for 10 years now. Just sayin.....;)

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Live2Hunt said:
What is in your opinion the best turkey choke?
The best is speculative from one shotgun to the next. The reasons for that are barrel lengths, bore diameters, ammo...all of which vary from one brand to the next.

Extended non-ported are the best, IMO. Extended to get the longer parallel section of the choke tube to get the best performance from the restriction of the tube. Non-ported because they're not as loud. The ports don't reduce recoil, as advertised. :cheeky-smiley-022:

Live2Hunt said:
Does anyone know anyone who has done a pattern comparison ? Thanks
The best thing that any shotgun hunter can do is pattern the choke and ammo...at the distance(s) it's intended to be used. Patterning gives the shooter a lot of confidence in the weapon and its' ability/range.

There are several shotgun forums that are good for reading about suggested choke and ammo combinations. However, I highly recommend calling Carlson's and telling them what you want to do with your shotgun and they'll give you the right information to achieve your goals. ;)

I purchased a Dead Coyote choke tube (.660" restriction) and the Dead Coyote ammo (T sized shot) to go with it. After patterning this combination, I wouldn't trust the pattern past 30 yards...and it's advertised to be good out to 70 yards.

I called Carlson's and talked with Shane Carlson. We discussed the range that I wanted to kill coyotes (inside 50 yards) and I prefer alloy ammo (Hevi-Shot, HD, etc.) in large sizes of T, BB or #4 buck. He recommended a .680" restriction. All I had to do was mail it to him with a note on it saying "replace with a .680" restriction" and he mailed it back a.s.a.p....no charge. :cool:

Give them a call. :)
www.choketube.com

My turkey choke tube is a H.S. Strut in .665" and it produces 47 pellets inside a 10" circle at 40 yards. I was using Remington Nitro 3" with a 1 7/8 oz. load of #5s. I wasn't about to shoot those bruiser 2 1/2 oz. loads. :(
My shotgun is a 12 gauge, 3" chamber, Mossberg 500 Turkey Special with a 20" barrel.

Keep in mind, that a 30" circle is for waterfowl patterns. A 10" circle is for turkeys and predators.

Bowhunter57

·
Banned
955 Posts
I haven't had any birds complain about the 1 3/4 oz of 5's that I have been using for 10 years now. Just sayin.....;)
Never said the 5's wouldn't kill turkeys.......I've killed plenty with them back when I shot lead......however, let a bird hang up at 40-45 yards and I personally would think twice about shooting that bird. Putting 280+ inside a 10" circle at 40 yards....I wouldn't think twice.

What kind of #'s are you getting with that 1-3/4oz load of 5's at 40 yards? You are probably barely pushing 100, if that. Simply because of the size of shot and the payload. You only have 296 pellets in that load.

Just about any gun will kill a turkey out to 20-25 yards. It's that 40 yard mark where a lot of turkey guns go down hill.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Never said the 5's wouldn't kill turkeys.......I've killed plenty with them back when I shot lead......however, let a bird hang up at 40-45 yards and I personally would think twice about shooting that bird. Putting 280+ inside a 10" circle at 40 yards....I wouldn't think twice.

What kind of #'s are you getting with that 1-3/4oz load of 5's at 40 yards? You are probably barely pushing 100, if that. Simply because of the size of shot and the payload. You only have 296 pellets in that load.

Just about any gun will kill a turkey out to 20-25 yards. It's that 40 yard mark where a lot of turkey guns go down hill.
Honestly, I can't remember. I found a load that patterned well and have stuck with it. Most of my birds have been killed inside of 25 yards, and the few shots that I have stretched to 35-40 have killed them just as dead. I used to use 2 oz of 5's, but this 1 3/4 oz load out of my 870 3" mag really works well. The terrain in Jefferson County that I hunt, does not lend itself to long shots anyhow.

I understand what you are saying, and if I needed better range, I would probably have to pattern my gun with a different load. I hope to have my project gun done in time for next year (single barrel Savage 220 hammerless) and I may have to try some of the new loads, but I bought a bunch of the Remington 1 3/4 oz loads a number of years ago and still have more. Actually, I looked at them today, and I paid $6.99 a box LOL.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I love my Comp N Choke. I've killed birds 50+ yds before. I shoot a Charles Daley. It takes a Remington choke.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
704 Posts
agree with everyone else just depends on the gun, me personally i have getting custom chokes made for as long as i been turkey hunting only around 5 yrs but my h&r 10ga with 3 1/2 mags will kill turkeys out to 60 yards.. just cant let them get to close patterns to tight at 15yds.. .710 constriction and if you take the cone out of the back , let sum gas pressure off and it will shoot alot better too.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Yep......but why not have 200+?[/QU My concern is that even with hevi shot, a number 7 pellet isnt going to retain enough downrange energy past 35-40 yards. Yeah it mi ght punch paper at that range. I shoot hevi 13 5 shot through a jelly head and easily get 100 in a 10 inch circle and have more knockdown power.
sam-r261 UP.Browser/6.2.3.8 (GUI) MMP/2.0

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
varies greatly gun to gun. best combination i ve found through my benelli is a jelly head choke and hevy shot magnum blend turkey loads. wouldnt hesitate to shoot 50 yards with my setup.

·
Banned
955 Posts
Yep......but why not have 200+?[/QU My concern is that even with hevi shot, a number 7 pellet isnt going to retain enough downrange energy past 35-40 yards. Yeah it mi ght punch paper at that range. I shoot hevi 13 5 shot through a jelly head and easily get 100 in a 10 inch circle and have more knockdown power.
sam-r261 UP.Browser/6.2.3.8 (GUI) MMP/2.0
Not a concern at all.........that's the reason I shoot #7 hevishot. I can up my pellet count by 200 shots and due to the weight it hits everybit like #6 lead, if not #5 lead. I got to witness what it did to a gobbler at 25-30 yards last sunday. I'll just say this, the seat of the pants were mighty bloody as the head bounced off the back of the pants on the way back to the truck. Don't believe me......go on ohiogobbler.com and search #7 hevishot and there is someone on their who did a neckcrospy (spelling) after killing one with 7's. The shot went all the way through the birds head and neck at 40 yards.

Hevi 7's will kill farther than we should be ethically shooting. The federal heavyweight 7's will kill even farther than the hevi 7's. From now on my gun will be eating 7's.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts