Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you have or are in the process of doing, what are the best days to take off for the rut? I always plan on first week of Nov. hoard my vacation time. I have 9 days left after I take my wife on a bday trip to see her brother in Vermont for opening weekend of bow season. In my opinion I'm not missing much. Rather get major points for taking the trip and taking Friday and Monday off, miss the opening weekend and have some serious credit built up for the first week of November!
Now I have 9 days left. I can hunt pretty freely in the afternoons without taking time off. But the all day sits when the bucks are running is my favorite times in the woods. First and second week of Nov.
Questions are,
1) take Oct 30-Nov 3 off? Or,
2) take Nov 6 -10 off. Or,
3) Nov 2 &3 and Nov 8, 9,10?
I'm saving a couple days around Christmas cause ya know there's days you gotta do family stuff.
And two days for gun season.
What's you fav week and fav day?

Reactions: Kyle13

·
2,034 Posts
I just recieved the new issue of Deer and deer hunting and they had their rut issue. According to them, for Ohio the seek and chase phase, the best dates are Nov. 2- Nov 12. Thats according to the moon phases. Take it for whats its worth.

Reactions: Bryan six

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
It is extremely hard to predict. I really thought I had things figured out until last year. I had very few good pics of shooters on the days that history had told me it was supposed to be best (Oct 27-28, Nov 2-4 and Nov 9-12). I just assumed that our bucks had moved or were dead. To my surprise around Nov 17 thru Dec 1 they were everywhere on camera, in daylight. I usually have a great idea of what Im going to do with vacation days, but this year Im confused again. Im leaning towards saving a couple days for the Nov 16-20.

·
Registered
169 Posts
As many of you have or are in the process of doing, what are the best days to take off for the rut? I always plan on first week of Nov. hoard my vacation time. I have 9 days left after I take my wife on a bday trip to see her brother in Vermont for opening weekend of bow season. In my opinion I'm not missing much. Rather get major points for taking the trip and taking Friday and Monday off, miss the opening weekend and have some serious credit built up for the first week of November!
Now I have 9 days left. I can hunt pretty freely in the afternoons without taking time off. But the all day sits when the bucks are running is my favorite times in the woods. First and second week of Nov.
Questions are,
1) take Oct 30-Nov 3 off? Or,
2) take Nov 6 -10 off. Or,
3) Nov 2 &3 and Nov 8, 9,10?
I'm saving a couple days around Christmas cause ya know there's days you gotta do family stuff.
And two days for gun season.
What's you fav week and fav day?
Take nov 8 9 10 and 17 18

·
Registered
558 Posts
I think it depends a lot on where you are hunting. I'm in NE Ohio and the last two years, the 13th has been the best day of the rut for me. I tagged out early in 2015 but was still spending time in the woods and saw multiple bucks 3yrs old or older seeking hard on the 13th. This past season I hadn't even seen a good buck chasing until the evening of the 12the. I then took my buck fist thing in the morning on the 13th and we saw bucks chasing all over while getting my deer out of the woods and driving home.

Swung by my buddies house around noon on the 13th to show him my buck and a doe ran through his 5 acres with 3 bucks following, all good ones. She runs back out towards the road with her followers and we figured they were long gone. 5 min later she comes running back through, now with 4 bucks following, all decent ones too with the biggest Probly being 140's. they were fighting up a storm in the reeds by his pond and all the noise of antlers grinding and trees breaking was insane. My buddy grabbed his bow and ran out to the little field behind his place and ended up killing his 1st bow buck which woulda been a 10 point if he wasn't so broken up.

My wife then killed her buck first thing in the morning the next day, Nov 14th. It was a crazy 48 hours.

I'll be off Nov 4th-15th but if I had to narrow it down I'd Probly do the 11th-15th.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
This year the full moon falls on nov 4. The 4-5 days before and 4-5 days after should be hot if u follow the moon any.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I live northwest and had a buck locked down late October. If u can schedule your vacation last minute that'd be the best. Don't set a date and watch on your afternoon hunts. I'm learning the people that r more flexible at work, farmers, retirees or my new job haha r more successful. Hunt when it's right. I saw alot of people whinning on here last year of lack of activity because it'd already happened.....

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Moved my focus back to the 2nd week of November the last couple years. It seems to be working. I always see some seeking last couple days of Oct first day or two of November. I look for better conditions opposed to trying to time out the rut. Cold, high pressure days Late Oct up to gun season. I saw epic chasing last year Christmas Day.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think it has a lot to do with buck to doe ratio, and the age of the does. we have a large group of does that seem to always start early, and that is the best time for us. Always see more bucks around Halloween. Tried the moon phase, but just never works out. We hunt private and try to practice good management as well.

·
22,576 Posts
6th-11th....every year.....take it to the bank. Then after the middle peak of November until around thanksgiving, Bucks begin to search again, after lock down and are on the move once again searching for the next hot doe. Many Bigger deer are taken after the peak.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm leaning towards 2nd week of Nov. we all know anything can happen so just be there! I hate to over hunt the same spot, but I know they are there.

Reactions: Kyle13

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Did anybody else experience a shift in their times last year from early first week(Oct 28-Nov 4) of November that changed to the 3rd week(17th-27th). I know some people are always good the 3rd week, but just curious about those that saw a drastic shift.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts