Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to enter the world of black powder. What gun and load do you recommend? Looking to stay under $400.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
With that price range look at the cva wolf with finger release breech plug and a bushenlle scope that's Wht I use great gun!!!

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Honestly, all the BP guns made today are darn good. Just start checking some out. See what fits you nice. You'll get something special for 400.00. ;)

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
i put my new cva accurra thru almost a week of night and day heavy rains during gun season last year...i dont think the gun ever dried out in that week but when it came to shoot it it fired every time...i've never had a cva optima but i imagine its as good...buy the silver barrel...i think youll like it...it is super easy to tear completely down and clean...:biggrin:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here you go research has been done for you

http://www.iowasportsman.com/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=754003
Just follow the link read the posts on page 1 & 2 from Me I have same name on there Hope it helps. I would stay away from break action due to lock up could lead to POI change POI is (Point of impact) not that its a big deal the new in-lines will be more then accurate for deer. If the vids - info help you please hit like. Happy hunting!:whistle:

·
Registered
225 Posts
With that price range look at the cva wolf with finger release breech plug and a bushenlle scope that's Wht I use great gun!!!

I have a CVA wolf and it's a great gun for starting out in muzzleloading. The new breech plug that CVA has developed makes cleaning super easy. You don't need any tools to remove the breech plug and it's easy to see through the barrel when cleaning from the breech.

With a decent scope you will have no trouble reaching out to 150 to 200 yards.

I've used the new IMR whitehots (100 grain) and the powerbelt bullets. The powerbelts are nice since they don't require you to clean after every shot like the sabots do. I used winchester triple 7 primers last season and do NOT recommend them. They are prone to misfires since they don't burn as hot as a regular 209 primer.

·
Administrator
5,398 Posts
Whatever you do, make sure you buy one that shoots the new BuckHorn 209 powder.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I would look into the CVA electra from sportsman guide..These are great guns that use the 9v battery for ignition..They just never sold like CVA hoped they would have...There selling for about 1/2 of what they did when they first hit the scene(350$ for black n blue model 1/2 that now)..My buddy has one,an im thinking of buying one..They had the stainless model on sale,but it sold out..Shooting off a bench my buddy got 1/5 to 2in groups at 200yrds,that was with the best load an powder combo on hand..245gr power belt/2 pyrodex pellets... There worth a look,plenty of reviews an such online..200$ for a gun leaves you money for a nice optic

1 - 13 of 13 Posts