Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All summer we have only had a couple of hummingbirds. Not much, but they were regular visitors and the cat enjoys trying to catch them through the window. Not too bright, that one. Anyways, all summer, haven't seen a single bee on the feeder...until Wednesday:

And this was taken after they had thinned out a little. That night I took it down and left it down yesterday. I decided to refill it and rehang it this morning before leaving...and it already had bees on it. :nono: Oh well. Hopefully the hummingbirds are getting their grub somewhere else, because the bees are keeping them away.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
I don't know how your area has been affected, but seems like it's slim pickings around here for the nectar loving birds and beasts. At least your hummingbird feeder is feeding something useful. Cool photo for sure to see all those bees. Mine is over run with ants. Ok, the hummingbirds do get their fare share too. With all the ants hanging out on the inside of the feeder I always wonder if the little hummingbird tongues get tickled by all those ants when the birds stick their beaks in the feeder. :p The weird thing about my feeder this year (and I did not put it up until late July this year) is that I have not seen one male hummingbird. There are at least 6 that frequent the feeder and they are all females or fledglings. Don't know where the boys are because usually I see them too.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
i have a hornets nest in a lil tree here by my house and the bees have been hardly noticable except one found in the pool skimmer every once in a while but just the last week theyve been flying more and getting aggressive...i used to be able to mow right by them without a problem but the last time by the whole nest seemed to empty and this black cloud of hornets chases me into the back yard...i have been not wanting to kill em but now it looks like i'll have too...need to mow my grass there and its the only way the meter reader can get thru to read the elec.meter...the nest was about the side of a llarge egg when i first seen it but now is the sise of a canteloup...:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
I don't know how your area has been affected, but seems like it's slim pickings around here for the nectar loving birds and beasts. At least your hummingbird feeder is feeding something useful. Cool photo for sure to see all those bees. Mine is over run with ants. Ok, the hummingbirds do get their fare share too. With all the ants hanging out on the inside of the feeder I always wonder if the little hummingbird tongues get tickled by all those ants when the birds stick their beaks in the feeder. :p The weird thing about my feeder this year (and I did not put it up until late July this year) is that I have not seen one male hummingbird. There are at least 6 that frequent the feeder and they are all females or fledglings. Don't know where the boys are because usually I see them too.
Get you an Ant Guard for your feeder...solved our ant problem...
Amazon.com: Perky-Pet 242 Ant Guard for Hummingbird Feeders: Patio, Lawn & [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@51ldsXBJEJL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts