Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

Bearded hen

2K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  nighthunter 
#1 ·
Just got these pictures off of my camera. Looks like a bearded hen.

See less See more
#3 ·
Yep, sure is. They say 10% of hens sport a beard! To me thats a pretty high percentage considering how many hens there are out there because nobody shoots them in the fall. If it were me and she came in while it was still early season atleast and she wasnt already nested up I would take her. One less hen that ole tom is locked on while your trying to hunt. :)

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Would you let your lovedcones eat a bearded hen?

Now this poses the critical question of would you let your loved ones eat a bearded hen or how about a doe with antlers?

And if you would serve it, would you tell them ?

This question has led to some robust debate at deer camp this past year....:yikes:

#7 ·
Now this poses the critical question of would you let your loved ones eat a bearded hen or how about a doe with antlers?

This question has led to some robust debate at deer camp this past year....:yikes:
Who cares it all eats !!!!!!!!! I mean come on wht makes the difference

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

#8 ·

Who cares... It's not like warning your buddy at the bar he's about to take home a tranny. You're eating it not sleeping with it.

#11 ·
We have quite a few around these parts. Probably more than 10%. I've heard it is genetic so some areas will have more than others. And when you do take one home (courtesy of mr. bluedog) you can eat it and do this. Was hard to get a good shot because this sits inside a cubby hole.

Sent from my Ally

#12 ·
question

There is alot of talk about the weather affecting fishing this year . With the warm temps messing up prespawn ect. I am fairly new to turkey hunting and was wondering what you all thought will happen this season since everything seems to be a month or so ahead of schedule. Some of my friends think they will breed early or are turkey like deer and pretty much have the same cycle every yr ?

#14 ·
There is alot of talk about the weather affecting fishing this year . With the warm temps messing up prespawn ect. I am fairly new to turkey hunting and was wondering what you all thought will happen this season since everything seems to be a month or so ahead of schedule. Some of my friends think they will breed early or are turkey like deer and pretty much have the same cycle every yr ?
They will nest early it all in the temps with birds hell I found a nest the other day walking in the crp field.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.