Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I was under the impression that you couldn't use a device that projected a beam of light onto an animal (excluding a flashlight for night hunting). I started looking through the Administrative Code for this definition.

All I could find was this:

Chapter 1501:31-15 Hunting and Trapping
It shall be unlawful to have any mechanical, electrical or electronic device attached to a longbow or crossbow while hunting, which is capable of projecting a beam or ray of light on a wild animal.

So where do I need to look for the firearm rule or is there one ?
I know red dots and aimpoints were allowed because the light doesnt leave the sight.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
beaston,
Keep in mind the statement on Page 3 of the Hunting Regulations:
"THIS SUMMERY is for the convenience of hunters and trappers and IS NOT INTENDED to cover all laws and regulations. The Ohio Administrative Code contains the details of these regulations and is available for review at each Ohio Division of wildlife District Office and online at wildohio.com."

You are mentioning 2 different issues with the use of a light at night.

1. It is illegal to use anything that projects a beam of light from a longbow or crossbow.
Page 12 (item #8) of the Hunting Regs.:
"Have attached to a longbow or crossbow any mechanical, electrical or electronic device capable of projecting a beam of light."

2. There is NO rule concerning lights and firearms. The only other mention of lights are headlights or spotlights FROM VEHICLES.

You can spotlight all you want, but you can not do so from a vehicle of any kind. Also, the power source of that light can not be attached to a vehicle, as the GWs consider that being part of the vehicle.

You're on the right track with the OAC.
It's this section: 1501:31-14-09 Subpart (P)
http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/1501:31-15

(P) It shall be unlawful for any person to pursue, hunt, or trap furbearing animals from sunset to sunrise, without carrying a continuous white light visible for a distance of at least one-quarter of a mile. However, persons hunting fox, raccoon or coyote with a call from a stationary position may use a continuous single beam light of any color. When two or more persons are hunting or trapping together for such animals, one light only is required and may be carried by any member of the party.
I copied and pasted this from the OAC. There's a simular version in the Hunting Regulations on Page 42. ;)

Hope this helps! :cool:
Bowhunter57

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for info

"So you can attach a laser to a firearm and use it for POI "

I must have been thinking of the archery rule for the beam or ray of light. I read that many years ago and for some reason thought it applied to all hunting devices.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts