Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
5,040 Posts
I don't know about the beagles, but I'd be willing to pay to see you on those roller blades!!

·
Registered
341 Posts
We run beagles on wild rabbits all summer 3 to 4 days a week. You can tell if a dogs got the heart and grit to be what we call a true rabbit dog if they will stay in there and run in the heat and not quit on it. Just make sure to keep plenty of water for them.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
776 Posts
I run mine in the evenings & mornings. When at the beagle club I run them all night long in the enclosures.

I run them in the heat just enough to make sure they can handle a trial if one comes up I want to go to, but I don't put undue stress on them just to prove they are tough. I already know mine have the desire to die trying to catch Mr. cottontail.

That being said, how in the world does your daughter manage that? I walk mine daily because I live in town also, and I cant move 5' without having to stop and smell where another dog pissed 5 days ago. lol.

Great video!

·
Registered
341 Posts
I never said I put undo stress on them to prove they are tough. But I guarantee they won't quit on a race or in a field trial when others drop out from not being in shape for it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
What kind of trials do you guys attend? I have beagles and have been to quite a few in my day. I love rabbit hunting and running dogs as well as going to trials on the weekends.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
I love it Fred! I don't watch the show too much ('cause it reminds me too much of work, LOL), but that reminds me of how Cesar Milan the Dog Whisperer exercises some of his dogs he works with, but he wears some really funky looking skates. If I lived in a place that had smoother pavement, I would so do this with my dogs.

My dogs are definitely on their summer break. Just doesn't seem like I have time to let them run when the temps are a bit cooler out. However, it is only in the mid70's this evening so I was thinking about heading out the door to do chores and let the beagles do their thing while I do mine. It's probably been 5 or 6 days since I've let them run a rabbit. Sounds like a plan.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bluedog this one was sorta for you. Some of the guys took it too seriously. Bawana was right on.

·
Registered
776 Posts
EMeade, I have only run AKC, but my plan is to break into the ARHA this fall.

Treedog, do you run any certain blood line?

Ran my Annie dog Saturday morning. After wading through all the baby bunnies for the 1st half hour she locked onto what had to be a buck rabbit. She pounded that thing for a good 1 1/2 hours. He pulled all sorts of tricks. She had her checks, but she always got back ontop of him. Pretty good for a hare hound running a experienced enclosure cottentail.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Cool temps and some free time and my 2 beagles got to chase bunnies in the pasture behind the barns for 2 hours last evening. That was some needed exercise for them as I had been really busy last week. It never gets old.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I've got a Lane Line pup with Dingus, Yellow Creek, Gay, and several crosses of Indian Hill Majer. She'll be ready to go by fall.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Just about every morning and evening for 1-2 hours. Then trials on the weekends.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Two sleepy beagles is a beautiful thing. Yesterday I had the dogs tied out back for a bit. In spite of anti-chew spray on the old beagle's collar, the young beagle chewed through the older one's collar and let her loose. He's done this before, but it's been awhile since he has done it with using the spray. I was gone for awhile and came home at 3pm in the heat of the day to find the old beagle happily running a rabbit in the blackberries. I was a little worried but she seems ok although was very tired yesterday.

This morning I was up a little before 6am to do chores. Scoped out the situation to see if I could fire up the beagles that early on a Sunday morning. Neighbor to the left: moved and house is vacant. Neighbor diagonal left: dairy farm, they are up already. Neighbor diagonal right: a VERY early riser and he is already out and about with his dog. Neighbor to the right: separated from our farm by a decent chunk of thick woods. So I turned the beagles loose in the pasture right at 6am and they ran rabbits while I did all my chores and made breakfast. Almost an hour and a half. I let them cool down for about a half hour and fed them. They have been asleep ever since except for one potty break. I LOVE sleepy dogs.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
2 hours of running this morning. There are rabbits EVERYWHERE in certain spots on the farm. The dogs jump into the weeds and multiple rabbits come running out every which way. Seems to be a bumper crop of bunnies around here.

Sent from my SCH-I405

·
Registered
776 Posts
Slee[y beagles are beagles not finding mischief. That's for sure!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts