Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a bass i got out of the Resevior Park In Massillon, I dont know if any guys are familiar with with the resevoir buti never thought i would catch a fish like this out of there, ive seen carp and blue gill and what not but this size of A large mouth in there shocked the hell outta me.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
not to be a dick, but that doesnt look like that big of a large mouth. Are there not a lot of fish in the lake? To me that looks like a 1 to 1 1/2 pounder. Again not trying to be a dick, overall nice catch.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I Understand and i know its not that big as most of the fish ya see on here i just met it was big for where i caught it, the water i got it out of isnt even a lake, its a small reservoir in a park, Inside the city of Massillon and ive fished there since i was kid and never caught a thing till this so i was impressed :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was up there walking a couple days ago and seen some average bass swimming near the bank. Tons of carp rolling around too. I used to fish it as a kid before the track was there. I remember driving thru the water.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i live right across the street from the rezzy so i walk over about everyday, there some pretty good sized carp in there right now alot of em too

·
Registered
467 Posts
That's a decent size fish for the area. I fished there once this year while my wife walked didn't catch anything.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's exactly what i thought too, thanks for understanding what i was trying to say about the fish.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
nice fish,looks at least 2#...keep after them i bet theres more 5#ers there than most realize,go try a black jitterbug at night if this hot weather continues...youll be surprised what will smash it...:D

·
Registered
69 Posts
Nice catch bud, yes their are bass in that pond. Even bigger if you keep fishing for them. it's not the best place for catching bass but few people fish for em. Keep trying I bet you will get one even bigger.Try plastic worms or go to the creek and catch some creek chubs and use them for bait. Keep them as lively as possible and run the hook point into the mouth and out a nostril hole, this method keep em lively.You can catch the chubs on a rod and reel with a small hook and white bread rolled into a dough ball. Again nice massillon bass you got there. Have you tried the spillway on the river it holds some nice fish for those in the know.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Not At All

Can you bow fish at the res? I'm getting a rig set up this year to try out in the spring.
Sippo park is located inside the massillon city limits.So the answer is no,you can't even practice shooting a bow in your own back yard if you live in the city. I know some people will say I shoot my bow in my yard all the time,and I live in the city. If someone does not believe me call the police and hear it from them. Go down to the river by the spillway where newman creek empty's into the river. Out of sight out of mind......good luck.

·
Registered
69 Posts
No Carp For Me

make up some cornmeal dough balls and try for some 25 pound carp.
When I was a kid we fished for carp all the time and it was a lot of fun. Now i fish only for game fish like large and small mouth bass. I also pike fish,talk about a lot of fun those pike smash into buzz baits like a torpedo. My biggest so far is just shy of 40 inches......not bad.

·
Registered
69 Posts
That was funny

Not to say your wrong but if I were you I wouldn't be taking law advice from and cop.
But seriously no firearms and that includes bows can not be shot in the city limits. Just think of the chaos that would happen if you were allowed to shoot even a bow in the city limits. Not saying you can't get away with it,i'm sure many people do.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I dont know about city ordinances around here, but I know the Metroparks dont allow it. We have inquired about bowfishing a couple of the lakes and we were told no, because the arrow is considered a projectile. Doesnt make sense to me, its really not to different from a fishing lure, in the sense of purpose and how its used...just fired differently. We shoot the Great Miami inside city limits.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
69 Posts
I dont know about city ordinances around here, but I know the Metroparks dont allow it. We have inquired about bowfishing a couple of the lakes and we were told no, because the arrow is considered a projectile. Doesnt make sense to me, its really not to different from a fishing lure, in the sense of purpose and how its used...just fired differently. We shoot the Great Miami inside city limits.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
It has to do with location. The Tuscarawas river runs right next to town and in the city limits, but i'm sure no one would say a thing if you bow fished it.Metroparks are funny anyways, and have there own set of rule. I do agree with you I see no reason why you can't bowfish.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Yes that is exactly what I am saying. Cops are not lawyers they do not know all the laws. They will do everything thing in there power to get a conviction out of you. They will lie right to you just to see if you admit guilt.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts