Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at houses to rent and most have a basement however, the one i really like does not have a basement...
How does this effect the heating of the house in the winter? Does it stay warmer or is it generaly colder without a basement???

·
Registered
134 Posts
Much colder. My wifes first home was on a slab..cold as hell

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Yep. Slab homes are generally cooler in the winter. Not to mention there is alot less room. I don't think alot of people who have basements, realize how much they use it, if they use it.

My wife and I just bought a home, and I was insistent on a basement or a pole barn. We got both!

·
Registered
265 Posts
where did he say slab? If you have a basement it's heated (you pay) so yes the floor above it will be warm. An insulated crawl (you don't pay to heat it) will keep the floor above it as warm as the room is.. The more space you heat the more it will cost you to heat it.

Reminds me of an old indian joke

White man builds great big fire, sits way back Indian builds small fire, sit up close.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
If the one u like doesn't have a basement and u don't need a basement rent it. If the crawl isn't insulated ask if u do it if they would take it off the rent just put a R16 fiberglass in it with batt pins and then staple plastic to the bottom of the floor Joyce's problem solved

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what about all electric heat??? no gas ,, does have a wood burning fireplace

would you think the electric bill would be outragous? and yes, i know, it all depends on how much i use it :whistle:

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Never had electric.

I have gas heat now, its good, but I like wood better. Our new house has a woodburner.

My parents built a home in 2004, they have a woodburner, and a gas furnace. They said that their furnace rarely kicks on during the winter because the woodburner does so well. Remember though, wood is alot of work, cut, split, stack, carry in...but I enjoy it. If you enjoy being outside and working hard, youll love it. You just need a place to get it. Or if you have lots of money, you can buy it..lol. But, if you buy it, whats the difference? No money saved I would think.

A man who cuts his own firewood is twice warmed!

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I just moved from a all electric 3 bed room and mine was about $150 a month the winter before last when it was actually a winter. Just use Ur wood stove to off set the heatpump stock it up before bed and open it up to medium and real good before work an close it down to burn slow and warm

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just moved from a all electric 3 bed room and mine was about $150 a month the winter before last when it was actually a winter. Just use Ur wood stove to off set the heatpump stock it up before bed and open it up to medium and real good before work an close it down to burn slow and warm

Sounds good... not near as bad as I was thinking :bouncy:

·
Registered
265 Posts
depends on the type of gas (propane, natural or fuel oil) and the electric supplier. Propane has so out priced itself electric is cheaper round here, propanes now about 2.20 and can go as high as the supplied decides (not regulated).Propane and electricity is expensive, natural gas is the cheapest of all.

Ask for previous years heating bills, you'll see what to expect, not just last year.

About 10 years ago I spent 6000 on a high efficiency wood fired boiler that also heats the domestic hot water. Paid for itself times over. It isn't an outdoor unit like so many and only burns when the water temp drops below it's setting, lays dormant till it calls for heat and can refire itself upto 8 hours later. It uses a principle called gasification which first extracts the gas out of the wood, burning that turning the wood into coal and then burns that. It's so efficient that the temp in the system is 2000, but by the time it hits the chimney the fuel is so spent the temp is 300. I say all this because I can see what you can't, a slave to cutting fire wood and never having enough. This system cut my needs for wood in half and heats the entire house just as a furnace does along with the hot water. Heating with wood is slavery, if your up to it you'll do fine, if not I wouldn't count on it in your heating costs.

Been heating with wood for 30 years and thankfully now have sons who can step in and help out.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Me an my boy cut 3 truckoads yesterday. With a one floor home with a basement I can cut a fall thru spring supply of wood in two weeks BUT it takes another 2/3 weeks to split it and stack it and a week or so to cut kindlin

·
Registered
538 Posts
I have a 28x52 its a doublewide and total electric and my bill has never went over 250 a month it doesnt have a basement I dont think thats to bad being total electric

1 - 12 of 12 Posts