Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With Ohio being legal to bait and most everyone puts out corn I assume. Have you found that other products like Swamp Donkey, Cmere Deer, and others being more effective than just plain old corn as an attractant?

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I mite put a lil acorn rage or sugar beat chrush in with my corn every couple of times I fill the feeder but that stuff just cost to much if u where to just put it out cause one deer can consume the entire bag/bucket of it I use record rack deer nuggets and purina deer chow and 50# of corn and like I say
I'll throw a bag of goodies in it every so often as a treat!!!
Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
If you add a pressed block in the ground along with a little corn, it might help it last a little longer. Baiting is, IMO, isnt too effective until snow hits the dirt and stays. Anything that has a sweet smell to them is going to bring them in.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Corn! All it does is feed the *****. And it is going to triple in cost. I use dry molasses mixed with soil in small 6" deep hole. ***** dont bother it, and attract deer. Set your camera in front and u will have a ton of pics.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I did not get any good results from sugar beet crush, acorn rage, and swamp donkey last year..
In fact,, the deer walked right by it to get to the corn.
I actually saw sugar beet crush set there so long without being touched, the pile molded so I covered it up with dirt.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I am not sure if I really even have private land to hunt in Ohio.. At least not much so I am not worrying about baiting this year. Although if I were it would be the same for me as all the years I used to, apples.

I don't really consider corn baiting. More like feeding. Not that there is anything wrong with it just saying we have enough corn where I am. Apples though that is a different story. I cannot tell you how many large deer I've seen getting their fill around the apple trees. We have a fair few on our farm in Eastern Kentucky and even though they are right up next to the house the deer and especially the bucks would come in constantly to feed.

After seeing their love for apples whenever I hunted anywhere I'd always use apples after and had good results. I also use it as a cover scent. Cut up an apple or two and place them in a few pockets in my gear. Have had deer literally walk right up to me near enough I could pat'em on the nose.

I do suggest setting out a bag a bit before. You don't want them to be to fresh. They get their sweetness as they age and the smell seems to be stronger. Won't matter of course if you are actually baiting with them but if you are using them as I did just let'em sit out a couple of weeks before or cut'em up two days before.

Bear

·
Registered
316 Posts
We have always used corn, get a truck bed full at beggining of year for picture purposes. occasionally will try other blocks etc.. Last year I tried the sugerbeet crush, and acorn rage block, and I will say the deer tore that acorn rage up good. Never really seen them get to excited over anything else but that acorn rage block. I plan to throw a couple out here soon, and hopefully get some good pics of target bucks for the upcoming year.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I only use corn to get pictures of the deer on my farm. I never use any type of bait when trying to harvest a mature deer. I have had way better success hunting scrape lines and natural funnels for mature deer. If killing big deer was as easy as pouring out bags of corn or bait, everyone would be able to kill them!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have not hunted over anything in the recent years. I finally got a game cam this year and I am thinking about setting some corn out.

Tried some deer cocain last year but it just sat there. When squirrel season starts I will check on it to see what it has become.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts