Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rain/snow/wind on opening day??? Wow so much for spring Turkey opener.... Any suggestions as for a set up? I'm debating on low field or low woods with cover. Can't decide.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Here's our weather forecast for tomorrow. The heck with just wind. How about some white stuff thrown in for good measure.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CLEVELAND HAS ISSUED A WINTER
STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM LATE TONIGHT THROUGH
TUESDAY EVENING.

* ACCUMULATIONS...6 TO 8 INCHES OF HEAVY WET SNOW ARE POSSIBLE IN
EXTREME NORTHEAST OHIO...UP TO A FOOT OR MORE IN THE HIGHER
ELEVATIONS OF NORTHWEST PENNSYLVANIA.

* TIMING...RAIN AND SNOW WILL MOVE INTO THE AREA TONIGHT...AND
WILL LIKELY CHANGE TO ALL SNOW AFTER MIDNIGHT. THE SNOW WILL
CONTINUE MONDAY...POSSIBLY MIXING AT TIMES WITH RAIN...AND THEN
TURN BACK TO MOSTLY SNOW MONDAY NIGHT. SNOW WILL CONTINUE INTO
TUESDAY.

* WINDS...THE HIGHEST WINDS WILL COME MONDAY FROM THE NORTHWEST AT 20
TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 45 MPH.

* IMPACTS...THE SNOW THAT FALLS WILL BE HEAVY AND WET AND DRIVEN
BY STRONG WINDS. THIS COULD HAVE A SIGNIFICANT IMPACT ON TREES AND
OTHER VEGETATION WITH LEAVES AS WELL AS POTENTIALLY AFFECTING
POWER LINES.
The last time I hunted in conditions like this I saw not one single turkey. That being said, I will be out. The last time I hunted in the woods with winds this high, I almost got mushed by a falling tree. SO I will be sitting along the north end of a field which will keep that edge fairly sheltered from the wind and hope to catch them sneaking along the edge or they will sometimes mosey through just inside the woods. I should be able to cover both directions for the most part. Yee. Haw. :cheeky-smiley-022:

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
As we all know, bad cold fronts tend to shut em down completely:yikes: If you know the roost area, get in close, set up and try and get em right at flydown. It may be your only chance tomorrow morning;)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Field Edge?

What about setting up on a field edge fairly close to roosting areas? And does the wind direction affect which side of the field you should set up on? Im looking at a gusty NNW wind tomorrow morning, should i set up north or south? Lastly, what are some opinions on using decoys on public land? Totally dangerous or worth it if you don't see any other vehicles around on the way in?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I will prob go. I have a blind set up which should keep the weather off. Seeing/hearing birds will be a different story.

·
Registered
61 Posts
that was one of my wonders to decoys on public land I dont think I will use my tom decoy just my hen dont feel like having a decoy with a bunch of 5 and 6 shot in it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
No tom

Yeah, i definitely wouldn't use my tom decoy, but if i can get an wandering gobbler to see my hen decoy moving a bit in the wind, maybe he'll come running without me even calling...

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I'd set up between roosting area and the field and don't worry about the wind! He's gonna think your in the field anyway and should work your way if all goes right. Set a couple hen decoys if you'd like if you're worried about other hunters. Don't be afraid to hit an owl call or crow call if you have another hunter hornin in on you. Let him know your exact position and he should respect that, hopefully. Sadly, many do not but that's all part of public land hunting and it can be frustrating to say the least. Good luck and hunt safe!

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Sorry to be so fixated on this, but it really can't get much worse. :(

WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM MONDAY TO 3 PM EDT
TUESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CLEVELAND HAS ISSUED A WINTER
STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM
MONDAY TO 3 PM EDT TUESDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN
EFFECT.

* ACCUMULATIONS...6 TO 10 INCHES OF SNOW IS POSSIBLE ACROSS
NORTHEAST OHIO AND 10 TO 14 INCHES ACROSS NORTHWEST PENNSYLVANIA
BY TUESDAY AFTERNOON. HEAVIEST AMOUNTS WILL BE IN THE HIGHER
ELEVATIONS AWAY FROM THE LAKE.

* TIMING...SNOW WILL DEVELOP LATE TONIGHT AND CONTINUE ON AND OFF
INTO TUESDAY AFTERNOON.

* WINDS...NORTHWEST 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 50 MPH.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I've seen birds killed in snow and they gobble more than they do in the rain I'd rather hunt cold than in the rain I'm hopeing for some vocal birds in The morn I gota go to work when Ik done so I'm hopeing for the best either way and good luck to all dress warm
Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

1 - 11 of 11 Posts