Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
North American Taxidermy

Dropped of a Coyote for a full body mount on March 1st, 2010. Also paid $250.00 down and still haven't got it yet. Everytime I call he tells me should be done in 2 weeks. I believe in not rushing someone but are you kidding me!!!!

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
dang a guy could be dead before it arrives...this ticks me off...especially with bows...if a guy has that much business then hire somebuddy...problem is they want the money to themselves and keep people waiting forever=bad business in my book...:D

·
Banned
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well I called in May and he told me June 15th it would be done. Its now July 16th and I am still waiting. Its been 2 freakin years for a mount. There has to be something I can do. I paid for service and I feel like i am being scammed.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
well I called in May and he told me June 15th it would be done. Its now July 16th and I am still waiting. Its been 2 freakin years for a mount. There has to be something I can do. I paid for service and I feel like i am being scammed.
Figure out what his vice is and offer to pay the balance with it when he's finished.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Simply another problem area created by the DOW. Pennsylvania requires its taxidermists to have a license. Ohio requires nothing so any fly by nights can operate, same situation as "deer hunting guides", "outfitters", sub leasing clowns.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Simply another problem area created by the DOW. Pennsylvania requires its taxidermists to have a license. Ohio requires nothing so any fly by nights can operate, same situation as "deer hunting guides", "outfitters", sub leasing clowns.
This is true, however, Tom from North American is not a fly by nighter. He has been a taxidermist for many years and used to be on the board of Ohio Taxidermists Association, has won several awards and even made a few videos for one of the well known taxidermy suppliers.He would have no problem obtaining a license as a taxidermist.As far as his business practices, that's another subject entirely.I have heard this same situation about North American Taxidermy by a few of my customers as well.It's not about his ability as a taxidermist, it's about how he operates his taxidermy business.I'm not taking sides, as I dont agree with these types of business practices either, but as long as he has clientele bringing him business, he will continue these types of practices.

·
22,528 Posts
This is true, however, Tom from North American is not a fly by nighter. He has been a taxidermist for many years and used to be on the board of Ohio Taxidermists Association, has won several awards and even made a few videos for one of the well known taxidermy suppliers.He would have no problem obtaining a license as a taxidermist.As far as his business practices, that's another subject entirely.I have heard this same situation about North American Taxidermy by a few of my customers as well.It's not about his ability as a taxidermist, it's about how he operates his taxidermy business.I'm not taking sides, as I dont agree with these types of business practices either, but as long as he has clientele bringing him business, he will continue these types of practices.
All valid points-

I started to use a taxidemist based on word of mouth and it turned out to be a 30+ year business venture. He was very good-did all of my taxidermy work exclusively and delivered as promised every year- he won many awards and was regarded in my area as one of the best. He retired a few years ago and one of his employees bought the business and took over at a new location. Unfortunately he was just as good but his "business practices" were not. It was hard to move on, but sometimes when they do not meet your expectations, you need to find another one that does.

I believe in the principal of delivering when promised and if a delay occurs- then the taxidermist must call the customer and discus with the client so the client can then undestand why. No call- no follow-up, continual promises broken just leads to frustrations and unhappy customers. Sometimes they just get over their head and can't handle the volume, since their "business practices" are not what they need to be to operate a business venture at that level. They should recognize this before the customer, but in many cases they do not-or avoid it all together.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
i'm not sure theyd register with the dow...i would think theyd register like any other business...whether a resteraunt or roofing company or barber shop...wouldnt it be with the city or state of ohio...:biggrin:

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
i'm not sure theyd register with the dow...i would think theyd register like any other business...whether a resteraunt or roofing company or barber shop...wouldnt it be with the city or state of ohio...:biggrin:
Most likely it would be regulated by the ODNR. Hence, state registration.

Thats the way it would make sense anyhow....but, ODNR doesnt always seem to make the most sense.:)

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
seems to me theyd have to have a dba thats either from the city or state(not odnr)...i'd like to think theyd be registerd with the odnr too for checking purposes...i'd like to see that for all leases and all properties that allow hunting...i do know in texas this is done and controlled by the dnr...if anyone leases land its known as a shooting preserve ...they go on acerage i believe for tax purposes...i do know they have a permit that was right next to our door entrance when you came in the cabin...it listed land owner,number of acres,etc...right next to it we kept a log of deer kilt,date...you did get visits by the game warden who checked the log and the deer we had in our coolers at camp...you had better be honest if they came callin...and we did have a couple questionable...which kept them around snooping into everythang...but i am all for it...i'm not sure if unleased hunting land fell under those guidelines...i dont think theres such a thing in texas...all properties thats hunted are leased...:biggrin:but i'd like some kind of checks on all properties and licensed...:biggrin:
as for taxidermists,i hate to say it but i feel theres prolly a lot of shakey ones out there...same for other businesses related to hunting...if theyre not licensed and paying taxes then theyre shakey...jmo...:biggrin:

·
Registered
502 Posts
taxidermist

Reminds me of that tape with Jeff Foxworthy, I think it was the incomplete deer hunter, where he played voice messages left for a taxidermist who was extremely slow too. It was halarious! The guy just ask about his deer mount, after a couple of messages he starts to threaten, then he realizes that's not working so he oppologizes, then he starts begging. Really funny!

Anyway, Tom used to do all my mounts, but he has gotten to be terrible at his turnaround time, so I go elsewhere now. I can tell you to keep bugging him, maybe even stop in, and he will get it done. Too bad, because he really does great work.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Taxidermists, like any other business, are supposed to operate under a vendors license and pay taxes on income they make from mounts, in the state of Ohio. I know alot of them do not. You also have to keep records of all specimens brought in, tag numbers, who brought them in, when they were brought in etc., as the GW will stop in occasionally and check these records. I had one deer confiscated by our game warden last year. I had just mounted it too. He told me he was not able to go into specifics, but he said the hunter had harvested it using questionable means. Happens sometimes. All of my paperwork was in order, including the tag number for the deer in question. He gave me a tag from the DNR that stated that he had taken the deer, and then left to find the guy who shot it. I wouldn't want to have been that guy!

·
Registered
2 Posts
north american taxidermy

I have had countless things mounted by North American over the last 15 years. His work was always excellent and worth the wait and the money untill 2010. I dont know what has happend to Tom and his bussines but the quality of work has went way down hill. I droped off my deer in Novermber 2010 and was told the normal about 12 months. No big deal at the time. I started calling in Dec. 2011 and was told just a few more weeks. Every time i called thats what i was told. Then i stopped in in July 2012 and was told he doesnt have the money to finish the mounts due to lack of money. And just one sob story after another. Yea life sucks but you dont make promises and not keep them. Well anyways he told me it would be done first week of August. So i kept calling and calling and stoping in and was told its almost done. Well i picked up my head last friday. And let me tell you it was a very poor job. I asked him what percentage of the mount he done and he said 100%. Wow his work has went way down hill. Lots of rookie mistakes were made and to top it all off it wasnt even may cape!!! Tom Moore has lost all my bussiness and respect and anyone who has a mount there needs to pay him a visit before he closes his doors!! And i think this will be very soon!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Always wondered why some taxi's take 10-12 months, i had one back in six weeks & the other in eight weeks....it's a full time father & son shop that raises Corsica? rams that they mount & sell.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well me and a buddy went looking for a good tax, we came across Tom moore at North American. We looked at his mounts in the show room they looked great. So me and my buddy both dropped our deer off there,he said 9 month max! So a year goes by for my buddy no deer, 1.5 goes by no deer. Almost 2 years, he gets deer. Looks ok.

By this time i had dropped off several things to him because he talked abig game. I said to my self i can deal with a little over a year and a half, for good work. So early kill the next year i drop another deer off. Wow what a bad move. After almost 3 years i got 1st deer back with horrible stitching bad ducts. Couldnt beleave it, still havent gotten all my stuff back.

The kicker was seeing him at the white tail unlimited banquet giving a mount away in a raffle..lol..

So i wouldnt send him any thing...

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Dang 3 years :yikes:...all I can say is if my taxy is done today which would be way ahead ...I'd have the money-back and get there adapt...not only to get my deer head but to git him paid for his work...all I ask is git it back reasonably close to what you tole me...:D

·
Registered
502 Posts
It really is a shame about Tom, I have probably 10 mounts done by him and he did really good work but his turn around time was ridiculous and I don't think he even does the work any more. I'll be looking for a new taxidermist for my next trophy. :tsk:

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Reminds me of that tape with Jeff Foxworthy, I think it was the incomplete deer hunter, where he played voice messages left for a taxidermist who was extremely slow too. It was halarious! The guy just ask about his deer mount, after a couple of messages he starts to threaten, then he realizes that's not working so he oppologizes, then he starts begging. Really funny!

Anyway, Tom used to do all my mounts, but he has gotten to be terrible at his turnaround time, so I go elsewhere now. I can tell you to keep bugging him, maybe even stop in, and he will get it done. Too bad, because he really does great work.
heh heh heh...i seen that...:biggrin:

1 - 20 of 61 Posts