Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sunday i got out some 22s with a buddy to do some practicing. We were shooting a ruger hand gun and whinchester 22 rifle. I had bought Remington Thuderbolts (Round nose high velocity) We had 5 that didn't go off( we propbably shot 100-150 rounds). I had bought them within a year and they were stored in my house.

Could it have been something I did?
I have had good luck with blazzers in the past so Ithats who will be getting my money in the future.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both guns that when I figured it was the ammo. I bought the brick of 500. I will get the blazzers next time thats for sure never had that problem with them.

·
Banned
624 Posts
Thunderbolts are typically like that. You get what you pay for.

If you want something really good in .22 ammo, try CCI with the green label. They're a LOT more expensive, but always go off and cause almost no barrel jump if you're doing some competitive shooting.

BTW: sometimes you can get the Thunderbolts to fire if you put it back in your gun with the firing pin hitting a spot 180 degrees from where it first hit. The problem is that the primer solution that gets put in them sometimes doesn't get spread out over the entire bottom of the brass and reach all edges.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I have had problems with bulk Federals from years ago. At least one misfire per 50. Stick with what you know works.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Aren't most rimfire cartridges known for this? When qualifying for my CCW, I used my Glock 19, but the poor dude in the lane next to me was using a .22 revolver. He had at least 1, sometimes up to 4 misfires per cylinder. Even hangfired once. It's my understanding that misfires are just something you put up with when firing .22s...

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
I shoot alot of federal bulk .22 ammo and dont have this problem. I agree that years ago federal ammo was junk. But today it's very good ammo. I have had this problem with the Remington bulk .22 ammo the last 5 years or so . So I stay away from it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Remington is known for having junk 22 ammo
Do a interent search and you will see many with same issues
A lady at the range the other day was shooting a 22 semi auto pistol and the empty rd failed to eject. I used a cleaning rod to tap it out and the case was split the whole length. I asked her what ammo she was using, Remington

1 - 8 of 8 Posts