Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back from the range. Tried the Federal premium TSX 165 gr from my 30-06. My first two shots from a clean and oiled barrel were touching together. My next three were insde of 3/4 inch and 1 inch right of my first two shots.
I also did a penetration test with the ammo. Took two 6x6 and stacked one behind the other. Penetration was 8 3/4 inches.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry Fred I forgot that without pics it didnt happen. Ill see if I can get some up for ya.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Now that makes the story a lot more interesting. If you don't clean it and go out the next day how does it group?

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
I cant answer that with this ammo because its the first time I have shot it. I havent cleaned the rifle and hope to make it back to the range real soon. I did let the barrel cool down between my forth and fifth shot so my guess would be with the group of three. With Federal fusion from a clean oiled barrel to the next day it will print them all inside a inch. No need to fouel the barrel with the the Fusion rifle will tackdrive them. But the Fusion is a soft bullet so if I go after something big I will shoot the TSX. I am impressed how well this rifle shoots store bought ammo. Im sure a better shooter could get even better groupes or if I had a ledsled. Im just shooting of sand bags.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
your right, I try out my ammo off the bench and sight in. then I get off the bench and pratice . now and then I do go to a .22 bench rest shoot. but I care more about what I can do in the field.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts