Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

Back from LA

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  beaston 
#1 ·
Had a great trip tp LA. We really got into the fish this yr that for sure. Woulda been a really great trip cept for my one buddy Gary getting hurt. He slipped on the gunwale of the boat the 2nd to last night there and broke a bone in his hand and got a really bad Hematoma on the inner part of his thigh...Ended up taking him to the ER in New Orleans at 5AM fri. We knew the hand was broke but what was really concerning was how huge his leg swoll up in the couple hrs he slept. Some xrays,a splint, pain meds, and a ice pack and we were on our way.
As far as fishing we laid it too them pretty good. We limited on reds every night except for the first night and the night gary took his fall. We also shot loads of sheepshead and a faiir number of flounder. There were lotsa gator gar there and we passed up alot of small ones. We ended up putting 2 over 6 ft in the boat and seen several others that size. It wasn't uncommon to see 10 per night but most were small in the 3-4 ft range. I think we really coulda stacked some flounder up if we wanted but they were really shallow and to hunt big gar ya gotta stay deeper....We also shot some small rays, a few silver carp, and a couple mullet. When we would clean fish there were a couple alligators that would show up for a free meal.
We stayed in a small cabin right on the water and never had to take to boat out of the water the whole week. I will load up some pics when my buddies email me the ones they took.

Later

Jake

See less See more
#2 ·
Had a great trip tp LA. We really got into the fish this yr that for sure. Woulda been a really great trip cept for my one buddy Gary getting hurt. He slipped on the gunwale of the boat the 2nd to last night there and broke a bone in his hand and got a really bad Hematoma on the inner part of his thigh...Ended up taking him to the ER in New Orleans at 5AM fri. We knew the hand was broke but what was really concerning was how huge his leg swoll up in the couple hrs he slept. Some xrays,a splint, pain meds, and a ice pack and we were on our way.
As far as fishing we laid it too them pretty good. We limited on reds every night except for the first night and the night gary took his fall. We also shot loads of sheepshead and a faiir number of flounder. There were lotsa gator gar there and we passed up alot of small ones. We ended up putting 2 over 6 ft in the boat and seen several others that size. It wasn't uncommon to see 10 per night but most were small in the 3-4 ft range. I think we really coulda stacked some flounder up if we wanted but they were really shallow and to hunt big gar ya gotta stay deeper....We also shot some small rays, a few silver carp, and a couple mullet. When we would clean fish there were a couple alligators that would show up for a free meal.
We stayed in a small cabin right on the water and never had to take to boat out of the water the whole week. I will load up some pics when my buddies email me the ones they took.

Later

Jake
"Ened up taking him to the ER in New Orleans at 5AM fri" :yikes::yikes::yikes:

Dang... At 5:am on a friday i might have just drove him to Baton Rouge. Going to the nawleans hospital at that time, you might end up with a gunshot wound as a bonus. Glad you had a great time Jake. Can't wait to see pics.

#8 ·
It looks like everyone had a great time. Sorry to hear and the emer. visit. But goes to show anything can happen at a moments notice.

#9 ·

Later

Jake
sound like a lotta fun an good eatins...:biggrin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.