Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time getting out to my cabin on atwood lake this year tomorrow. Wondering if anyone has ben to or had any luck on it this year? Also taking my cousin out for his first shoot with one of my old setups

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, does anyone know if muzzy 200lb line would work in an ams retriever?

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

·
Registered
247 Posts

There was a tournament there this year but I unfortunately missed it. I hear good things about the lake. 200 lb line is plenty, if you need some retriever line I've got a few extra spools sitting around.

Sedon will be on here soon with some info im sure. He knows the area

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Was up there this weekend. Went out to Atwood to shoot Friday night. Was on the water for about an hour, pulled out headed to Leesville. Shot Leesville again Saturday night.

I hate Atwood. It's always a muddy mess. No big fish. Everytime I come up, I go to Atwood hoping to shoot it, and it always turns out the same, wasted time on the water.

Shooting during the day is good though.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts

It will not. I believe the smallest FF that will work in a retriever is 400#, and even then it has slippage though. You can call Bowfishing Extreme or Backwater Outdoors for better guidance.

Just toss that retriever and get a spinner setup. You'll send me a Christmas card to show your gratitude.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went out Saturday night for about an hour but we only saw a few fish, I think I scared most of them away though because I push my way around with a stick from our big pontoon, and I'm always getting stuck in shallow water, but it is alright during the day in the bays were my cabin is, only thing I got though was a shad. Hoping to get a boat of my own someday though so I can go places besides Atwood.

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
You can use #400 lb. FF in the retriever with no problem, #200 to small for tha reel. I have been using it for years.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I live up in strongsville, about 20 min south of Cleveland, can't really bowfish anywhere around here

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Lake Erie....

There is no shooting in the state better than Erie.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't have a boat to shoot from and the nearest park I know of that you can bowfish in is east harbor which is an hour and a half away

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
East Harbor State Park. Thats where the Lake Erie Fun Shoot is held every year on the weekend before Memorial Day.

I would donate my nads to be an hour and a half away from there! You don't know how good you have it! LOL

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How many people usually show up to the shoot? Almost went last year but things came up and I couldn't make it

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Usually about 30 or so total. Its a great time, you oughtta come up!!

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Everybody shoots from boats built for stickin fish. Theres always room on the boats for an extra though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts