close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Attention public land hunters!

Discussion in 'Ohio Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by mrex, Feb 7, 2018.

1. mrex

mrex Staff Member Super Mod Mod Premium Member

Hot off the press...the DOW rolled out a sweeping change proposal for deer hunting regulation on public land at this evenings Wildlife Council meeting. The proposed change is two fold. First, only one antlerless deer per hunter statewide on public ground and second, only antlered deer may be taken on public ground after the statewide 7 day gun season. These changes will be voted on by council at the April meeting.

Might this increase early season pressure on public land? Possibly? But you can still only take 1 doe. And the impact on late season shed buck harvest should be dramatic.

As I continue to preach...change is coming. To all the chicken littles...apology accepted...

2. How will the state in force that will there be permits for public land

SpencerHunter likes this.

3. That is awesome, I give myself that rule after 2nd gun season. Unless they are close enough to see the tops of their head with the naked eye.

4. This is awesome! Any word as to DMU’s?

5. I like it can u get it back to low population counties as well as public where it's needed???? Good job stake holders!

6. Thanks Mike and bawana!!!!!!!!!! I'm glad for the stakeholders vs masses..
    Continue the fight for all....and thanks for updates....please provide updates as next year's seasons and bag limits approach.....thanks guys....

Buck Buster likes this.
  7. We are talking about ODOW right? :cool: Sounds like progression to me. Both great ideas!

Buck Buster likes this.
  8. mrex

There's a question when checking in a deer that asks public or private ground. My guess is you'll only be able to check antlerless once for public and you won't be given the option after gun week.

9. mrex

This really isn't a result of any consensus from the stakeholder committee. This is just the DOW listening to their constituents. Which is something some would have us believe they never do...;)

bluedog and Buck Buster like this.
  10. I completely believe they listen through farm bureau or your mouths.....but thanks for a voice which may have a stand!!!!!!

Buck Buster likes this.
  11. Good news, thanks for sharing. That would make bonus gun and muzzy seasons buck only on public. Good plan. As for apologies I would argue the state owes the public land hunters one for taking action five years later than they should have. In my opinion guys expressing concerns about the states inaction for years deserve an apology for being called chicken littles. Not sure why you feel you deserve one.

12. well done, now we just have to get it voted thru to pass...correct Mr.M Rex?

Buck Buster likes this.
  13. chopiq

chopiq Staff Member Mod

I'm all for it, but why isnt private land included? I can see alot more people trying to lease property now.

14. Great point UM .
    Also some good news Mike .

Buck Buster likes this.
  15. private land micro management is up to those who hunt it - IMO "if someone not seeing many deer on private-they should quit shooting so many" - not all areas are wastelands-I hunt 3 farms and all are doing quite well on numbers.

so lets take one positive change at a time.

Buck Buster and bywayofthearrow like this.
  16. as a public land hunter i would be very ok with 1 doe harvest limit ....

17. I’m guessing because private landowners can make harvest decisions for their own property, no one there to make those calls on Public lands other than the state. A couple private properties I hunt never met the doe goal with the season length and regs as they are. Access (as in more hunters) to those properties isn’t changing, like the majority of private land in Ohio.

Why would people want to lease more property?

Buck Buster likes this.
  18. Like the proposal, hope theres more enforcment than just hunters being honest on what kind of land they shot the deer on. Good time to go back to DOW issued tags rather than make your own.

19. Bryan six

Bryan six Staff Member Mod

Wow!!! Thats more like it guys!! Finally we are moving a step closer in the right direction!! That's actually a huge step!!! Thanks for all the hard work Mike!! Keep us updated!!

Buck Buster and bywayofthearrow like this.