Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

· Premium Member
3,093 Posts
That area grows some giants! It’s also the only county in SE Ohio that still votes for democrats. Idk what to make of that? :LOL:. I just find it odd. Maybe it’s the college kids there.

· Registered
53 Posts
Top for quality or quantity?

Glad to heard your number bounced back fast. Not sure how bad it was in my area beyond that ODNR map which leaves a lot to be desired.

what kind of cover do you have? We have thick (af) early successional browse. Not seeing much for deer at all though. Do you have any ag/plots nearby?

· Premium Member
3,093 Posts
I know enough to stay far away!!!! Far far away. Athens county also once had a county commissioner who literally had a path leading from his house to a marijuana grow but had no clue how it got there. :LOL::ROFLMAO:.

Reactions: Orion1 and gjs4

· Registered
195 Posts
Top for quality or quantity?

Glad to heard your number bounced back fast. Not sure how bad it was in my area beyond that ODNR map which leaves a lot to be desired.

what kind of cover do you have? We have thick (af) early successional browse. Not seeing much for deer at all though. Do you have any ag/plots nearby?
Athens County is a top deer county in number killed each year, generally with a higher number than the other far SE Ohio counties nearby. I think there are some quality bucks there too.

My own farm is managed for rabbit cover, so wildlife abounds, including deer. Even though we lost most of the deer to EHD in July to October, it looks like they have already moved in from other areas and repopulated the farm. If you have habitat, they will come.

· Registered
195 Posts
I have found a couple of sheds but still seeing a lot of bucks with racks (on the cameras).

If you get to Athens on Saturday morning, they have a nice farmer’s market next to Steak and Shake on E State Street. It’s even bigger in summer, though.

· Registered
53 Posts
Here and will check it out. Thanks for the tip. Just got a pic of a buck carrying both sides too. Know it is early but I have chores to here and lots of scouting learning the place.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts