Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

· Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody. New to the site and first time post. I will be moving to athens co, northern athens co close to athens, from mizz next month due my job. Ive never hunted ohio. Ive checked harvest data but how does athens co compare to the rest of the state for trophy potential(140 plus)? Not sure if i should get a place close to home or if i need to do some drivin to top harvest counties. I really appreciate any insight

· Super Moderator
1,497 Posts
Athens is one county over from me (Vinton). There is lots of public hunting land in the area and very nice bucks! It doesn't have a lot of agriculture property, so be prepared to hunt large woodlands.

· Registered
2,058 Posts
I would say trophy potential is great there. If your working there I see no need to look for hunting land farther that a 40 minute drive . I love that section of Ohio . My family use to have land in meigs county so I drove through Athens a lot

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

· Registered
2,624 Posts
Im assuming baiting really draws em in when huntin big woods like that. Never baited before either ha. Whats ur guys experiences with that in the big woods?
I live just above Nelsonville also but baiting isn't aloud on public land find oaks an beech trees. If your on private and hunt big woods find a open spot with good cover around it get a feeder with digital timer and put a camera on it. Only go in once a month or so. Any questions hit me up

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

· Registered
49,810 Posts
Athens is a great place to live for a hunter...on public land or deer that's hunted naturally deer up to 140 can be seen each year...but you must have the time in to get oppurtunities at them...but the more you hunt the more ops you should git...as for crop fields theres more around Athens then most give credit...just a drive out to Albany or any of the lowland areas like along rt.33 from guysville to Columbus will show plenty of corn or soybeans in the hocking river valley...theres a great mixture of crops and woodlands that create some whopper deer...any public land in the Athens area is great deer hunting...and keep in mind many of those deer on private land roam around on the national forest and aep land too...ditto for strouds run area and other state forest lands too...its a beautiful area ...welcome to Athens...i'm very familure of the areas just north of it...Chauncey,the plains to glouster...its great hunting...doan forget the small game too...tons of squirrell...and a flourishing coyote population...youre in a sportsmans paradise!!!:D

· Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well from what ive read so far it seems as though im in a good area. The guy leasing the land said expect to see multiple 130s and 40s and 150s and 60s are not uncommon. Seems like a bit of a stetch to me.. And prolly is sense he wants my money. Thoughts on this? I know there are areas like this but Not sure if i should expect this kind of caliber of hunting. More thoughts??

· Registered
49,810 Posts
Well from what ive read so far it seems as though im in a good area. The guy leasing the land said expect to see multiple 130s and 40s and 150s and 60s are not uncommon. Seems like a bit of a stetch to me.. And prolly is sense he wants my money. Thoughts on this? I know there are areas like this but Not sure if i should expect this kind of caliber of hunting. More thoughts??
if he's into baiting and plots and minerals and knows what he's doing i'd say that's a good expectation...I know landowners that see deer in that category every now and then on properties that doan have artificial feedings...:D

· Registered
16 Posts
Welcome to Athens County! You are in a wonderful area for hunting. There really are quality deer here. They aren't in every holler like some people like to think but with some studying, learning, scouting and effort you can access some excellent properties. Have you purchased a home yet? If you're looking still we have 37.5 acres for sale in Albany(western Athens County) with a beautiful hand hewn log cabin.

What part of Missouri are ou coming from?

· Registered
1,418 Posts
I don't hunt there anymore because I own land in Vinton county, but I used to hunt state land in Athens county, Fox Lake to be exact. Saw a 140 and a 150 class there and about a dozen other bucks all within a week and passed on a 120 class. My buddy swears he saw a 200 class. I didn't see it but when I got back to the truck after dark, he was so excited that he threw up twice!!! We hit the rut that year. Other years weren't as good but we still saw bucks. If you have private land in that area and bait, you should see some pretty decent bucks.

· Registered
1,223 Posts
Just search the 700" club on this forum and look at bucks from Athens. Unreal what one man and his boys have been able to accomplish. If you don't think 140-160 is obtainable in Athens co you don't know much about Ohio.

· Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Coming from macon co mizz. Had some great hunting there and will still go back but wont be able to hunt it as much. As far as not knowing much about ohio you are right on. That was the point of this thread.. To learn anything u guys would be willing to share. Really appreciate everybodys insight

· Registered
49,810 Posts
I would like to say that you don't have to lease to get a big buck in Athens co.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
or anywhere in ohio...if you consider a big buck as 170 and up...do it year in an year out...you gotta bait...:Dpeople gotta realize/know this about ohio hunting...it just doesn't happen in hunting deer without that...public(baiting illegal on public) or private...not even for any p$y sized deer...baiting is what makes it possible...its the truth...if that's your plan then anything is possible...if you hunt deer in natural environments...an you want a p&yer every year...you will be very disappointed...to do that you would need a lot of time in the woods...then youre talking deer in the 130 range...:D

1 - 20 of 55 Posts