Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All,

First thing's first. I've been perusing this forum for only a few hours but I can say without a doubt it looks like the best hunting / outdoors forum I've ever seen, so I decided to join up.

I'm a first generation outdoors-man who's hoping to have someone show him the ropes when it comes to hunting. I'm sorry to say that while I'm fairly comfortable with my shooting skills I have no idea how to take it the outcome from "furry thing with horns-n-such" and turn it into "nicely wrapped meat packets in my fridge". I've not taken the hunters education course that's required by the state, but no one that I've spoken to about the subject has told me that they'll be any help in that class. Barring that I'm just hoping that perhaps all the veteran hunters who see this would be willing to dump knowledge for myself and any other new hunters out there.

If you'd be willing to let a total stranger tag along on a hunt AFTER you vet them out for creepiness drop me a conversation.

Thanks all!

*Edit* Oh duh! That's what I get for typing this up after a long day at work. I live in the Dayton area. Vandalia to be exact.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'm nowhere even close to you. I'm up in north east ohio but as far as the hunters education classes, everything that is on the test is went over in the class the day before and the day of the test. You are also given a booklet if I can remember right to study. The test really is not that hard. A lot of it is common knowledge of the outdoors and safety in the outdoors. If you are completely new to all that don't be scared or let it intimidate you because like I said they go over it all with you. Just go on the dnr website and you can find classes in your area. However you might have trouble finding one this time of year. Most are held before hunting season starts I think. You can also hunt with an apprentice license if you are lucky enough to have someone take you under their wing but they have to be right with you and you can't sit apart. The apprentice license is available to purchase for 3 years then its required to take the education course I believe. Hope that helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am in almost the same boat you are. I got my hunting license for the first time last year. Non of my family hunts, nor do any of my friends. This is my second season out and I still feel like I know nothing. Last season I deer and turkey hunted. Opening day of archery season last year a group of doe walked into my path. I was so excited.. So nervous... You have probably heard of buck fever, well it is real. I was shaking very hard. I waited for a shot to present it self. When it did I put my finger and the trigger and pulled! And nothing happened. I forgot to turn the safety off on my crossbow. Luckily the deer stayed in place, so I switched of the safety and aimed again and fired. I missed, it went right under the deers chest! I ended up not harvesting any animal last year and non as of yet this season. I'm learning that there is a huge learning curve and a lot of it is getting out in the field and seeing what works and what doesn't.
As for the class, it is all common sense. The only thing I actually reviewed was the muzzleloader information. A lot of it is gun safety, don't point your gun at this, make sure you know the target and beyond. Honestly don't worry about the class.
Hope you find some help, I am still looking for some myself. Get out there and have some fun, and good luck!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
I am in almost the same boat you are. I got my hunting license for the first time last year. Non of my family hunts, nor do any of my friends. This is my second season out and I still feel like I know nothing. Last season I deer and turkey hunted. Opening day of archery season last year a group of doe walked into my path. I was so excited.. So nervous... You have probably heard of buck fever, well it is real. I was shaking very hard. I waited for a shot to present it self. When it did I put my finger and the trigger and pulled! And nothing happened. I forgot to turn the safety off on my crossbow. Luckily the deer stayed in place, so I switched of the safety and aimed again and fired. I missed, it went right under the deers chest! I ended up not harvesting any animal last year and non as of yet this season. I'm learning that there is a huge learning curve and a lot of it is getting out in the field and seeing what works and what doesn't.
As for the class, it is all common sense. The only thing I actually reviewed was the muzzleloader information. A lot of it is gun safety, don't point your gun at this, make sure you know the target and beyond. Honestly don't worry about the class.
Hope you find some help, I am still looking for some myself. Get out there and have some fun, and good luck!

Where you located at?

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Hello All,

First thing's first. I've been perusing this forum for only a few hours but I can say without a doubt it looks like the best hunting / outdoors forum I've ever seen, so I decided to join up.

I'm a first generation outdoors-man who's hoping to have someone show him the ropes when it comes to hunting. I'm sorry to say that while I'm fairly comfortable with my shooting skills I have no idea how to take it the outcome from "furry thing with horns-n-such" and turn it into "nicely wrapped meat packets in my fridge". I've not taken the hunters education course that's required by the state, but no one that I've spoken to about the subject has told me that they'll be any help in that class. Barring that I'm just hoping that perhaps all the veteran hunters who see this would be willing to dump knowledge for myself and any other new hunters out there.

If you'd be willing to let a total stranger tag along on a hunt AFTER you vet them out for creepiness drop me a conversation.

Thanks all!

*Edit* Oh duh! That's what I get for typing this up after a long day at work. I live in the Dayton area. Vandalia to be exact.
Good luck I know there's one fella on here around their that may be willing to help maybe he hasn't saw this thread I don't know.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah. I'm not worried much about the test or the class. I'm just worried it won't teach me the things I could actually use in the field.

Thanks for the heads up about the apprentice license though. I was just planing on hanging out with someone while THEY hunt. I figure I don't need an apprentice license as long as I don't actually harvest anything.

The test really is not that hard. A lot of it is common knowledge of the outdoors and safety in the outdoors. If you are completely new to all that don't be scared or let it intimidate you because like I said they go over it all with you. ... You can also hunt with an apprentice license if you are lucky enough to have someone take you under their wing but they have to be right with you and you can't sit apart. The apprentice license is available to purchase for 3 years then its required to take the education course I believe. Hope that helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am in almost the same boat you are. I got my hunting license for the first time last year. Non of my family hunts, nor do any of my friends. This is my second season out and I still feel like I know nothing. ...

Yeah if nothing else happens I'm sure I can get out there all on my own. Even if I spend whole seasons just trying to learn what works that would be fine. I would just hate to mess up the field dressing process and end up spoiling some meat.

Thanks for sharing! It's good to know I'm not the only one here who's "fresh off the boat" when it comes to the outdoors.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you wanna come down towards cincy I'd be happy to show you a good public spot and help with the before and afters

Sent from my LG-VS450PP using Tapatalk
I would absolutely be fine with coming down towards Cincy...
I'm in Kettering.
And Kettering is even easier for me!

Both of you are just a hop-skip-jump down I75 for me.

If either of you plan on getting out for a Sunday hunt this season and you'd be interested in having a free doe-dragger / buck de-bugger around let me know!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm pretty much a weekday Hunter but I'm sure we can make a day fit.

Do have camo? Stand? Bow? Anything like that yet?
Literally nothing. Unfortunately this is not a year when I can run out and grab all the appropriate gear, but I can absolutely get my hands on some camouflage. I know that seems kind of strange to be so excited about getting out and learning when I don't have any of the accouterments, but I think I'll be able to get my hands on the primary tools next year. I just want to get a head start. I absolutely do not mind just hanging out at the bottom of the tree while the hunter hunts. All the hints and tricks and such I can get during the debriefing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts